Attempted scam

Malleus
This post is 3055 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So currently trying to sell my bike, first interest I have is certainly a scam. From the second email this was clear, but I thought I would play along and see what happens. Here is the convo;
(Scammer asked if it was still for sale first, the message seemed like a scam then so was rather abrupt)

Yes, the Yamaha is still for sale.

Hi, I'll like to know it present condition. I can't come to view it because I’m recovering from surgery. Why do you need to sell it ? Any accident history? Sorry my phone is not active as I just came back from the hospital after several weeks. (O really? - How exactly will you be driving this bike then, and who doesn't have a phone)

It is in good condition, no accidents. I am selling as I no longer need it.

Sounds good, so what’s your best price as well? 

The price that it is advertised at. I would be willing to negotiate on the price in person upon viewing.

Alright, where are you located? I will need to contact the mover service to know the cost and expenses to collect from your location.

Hi Tara,
Bike is currently located at;

West End Central Police Station
27 Savile Row, London W1S 2EX

Will you be coming to inspect it before collection? Where are you located?
(It's not, but pretty close, curious if this will scare them off)

I imagine next if they are not deterred they will ask for bank details or try and make some 'money transfer.' But amused me for a few minutes today anyway! 

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

"I have contacted the moving service, meanwhile you should put request through my PayPal account [email protected] , so l can send money and choose a good time for the collection after payment has been received."

So will be overpayment scam, I send the request - they send fake notification of payment that is too much and then ask for a refund. Not sure who would fall for this. But good example here

Edited by Malleus

Nice when you can make these tosspots sweat a bit but even better if you say you'll keep the money :lol:

• Like 1

I had a similar scam when I put Betty up for sale, in the end I ignored them and then the cheeky fuck sent me a fake letter from the "met police" (guess they ment the metropolitan police)  saying I'm going to court as I owed them money which I could pay via PayPal to make it easier! I ignored that too.

• Like 1

I had exactly the same one to the word when I recently sold my Renault Kangoo van, played along for a bit just to waste their time.

So will be overpayment scam, I send the request - they send fake notification of payment that is too much and then ask for a refund. Not sure who would fall for this. But good example here

Probably not quite the usual overpayment scam, but they'll claim to send you the money to set up the shipping, and ask you to then pay it [which is to their own third party

And who falls for it? Not many, but it only takes a handful for them to make money.
And a fool and their money are easily parted, as they say.

They then also have the paypal account email address, which can then be used in further phishing scams.
It's sorta why - I think - paypal set up https://paypal.me recently.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So second message I have received about my advert...

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.

I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. 

Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

Hearing loss and heart surgery? *Yawn* Don't even have the energy to wind this person up..

Oh come on he's not well ! Is that any way to treat a sick man? :rofl:

Image result for emoticons sick in bed

• Like 1

Well.... I lied, I found the energy last night. This time I took a different approach;

That must make things difficult. I would say give me a call to discuss but I suppose that would be hard or impossible for you. All the pictures I have have been posted on the advert. If these are not good enough I can borrow my grand daughters camera and take some more next week. She has been helping me after my wife of 30 years died Earlier this year. I'm not very good at these things without her. In case your interested bike is only being sold as finances are really tight and currently having to live off the pension. I can barely afford to heat my home so having to sell some things off to help get through the winter. It is in great condition. I am however blessed with good health and am sorry to hear about your recent heart trouble.

The bike is located at my grand daughters work place I london. It is a very central location for collection.  She will be happy to help with this as I am not as active ad I once was.

So maybe I don't make a plausible bereaved pensioner IDK - but if you read between the lines it actually says 'HOW MUCH OF A SCUM BAG ARE YOU ACTUALLY?'

Apparently 100% as they replied with the same blah blah send me your details etc.

• Like 1

You have a wicked sense of humour Malleus, now how far are they willing to go to relieve you of more of your pension fund?

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online