First bike suggestions/advice

Malleus
This post is 893 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sorry if this comes up all the time from new riders! I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the first bike after gaining full license?

At the moment the most advice I have had is 'Buy whatever you want, something shiny that looks nice and you will learn from there' - which I think is pretty sound.

At the moment options I am considering are:

MT-07 or 09
XJ6
FZ6 S2 (2009/10 I think) - Really like the design of this bike, but not sure how easy it is to find.

If anyone has any strong opinions about any of these let me know

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As you have no doubt heard from others it's what suits you that really matters, I would suggest tho that you try these bikes out before you buy one, nothing worse than finding that your sparkly new bike is a bitch in the wet or you can't afford to get it serviced (BMW/DUKE/MOTO GUZZI for instance) plus do you need it for getting to work or is it only for fun at the weekend, all these things make one bike better or worse depending what you intend doing with it, some bikes are perfect for rattling around to the shop and back but no use whatever when you want to let the hoon out, plus a dirty great 1300 with all the trimmings is no good at all for short journeys and equally a 250 is never going to get you to the south of France without your bollocks feeling like you have hit them with a hammer. Decide what you want it to do, then try them ALL, don't just think it's got to be a Yam try Hondas Kwakas  Suzukis or even some of the horrible things from China they are cheap and the parts are peanuts to buy. Beware of chrome on a bike, looks good in the showroom but is a bastard when you ride through the winter and can't be arsed to wash you bike when the salt comes out.

• Like 1

I think that you couldn't go far wrong with an mt09. It's a helluva bike and can do everything you could ask for. It is certainly on my wish list!  Hope it helps but try to ride as many as you can before you part with your hard earned. 

A suzuki Sv 650 is also worth a look. Lot of bike for your buck. 

• Like 1

Yeh " the mt-07 75bhp.B)are fun , the MT 09  is  a three cylinder, 115bhp.   You"l be restricted to horsepower,   ER6   kwak is good too .

• Like 1

I test rode the mt07 and XJ6 back to back and preferred the XJ6 - and bought it!

I'm sure a lot will disagree but I just thought the XJ6 was an easier bike to live with and I loved it till getting my street triple (dark side)

• Like 2

The thing that bothers me about the MT-07 is the rear end and passenger seat. Which is why I was consider 09. Im not sure what you mean by 'restricted to horsepower' is that a bad thing?

I like the xj6 but have found it a bit uncomfortable after a couple hours. Maybe I have short arms.

I will mainly be using for commuting and the occasional long journey.

Think I will have to test ride a few and see what suits. But I'm fairly impulse and have been waiting for 2 years now!

Read this if your not sure about the "restrictions" on a bike, bit long winded but tells you all you need to know. http://mattbearman.com/2009/07/21/uk-motorcycle-licence-law-33-bhp-25-kw-restriction/

Yeh " the mt-07 75bhp.B)are fun , the MT 09  is  a three cylinder, 115bhp.   You"l be restricted to horsepower,   ER6   kwak is good too .

Oh I thought this was a comment on the bike itself?

Read this if your not sure about the "restrictions" on a bike, bit long winded but tells you all you need to know. http://mattbearman.com/2009/07/21/uk-motorcycle-licence-law-33-bhp-25-kw-restriction/

Thanks I am familiar with most of this stuff. Fortunately it has been fairly simple for me as I started riding at 25 and have gone straight to direct access. Hopefully next week I will have a full license.

• 6 years later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online