YBR 125 rear sprocket bolts

Malleus
This post is 3088 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

This is possibly a silly question; should the bolts for the rear sprocket (attaching the sprocket to what in the manual is called the 'clutch hub') be tight?
My problem is that in order to make the edges of the retaining plate flush against the bolt, some were left slightly loose. I have been checking them periodically and they have not moved, but will this cause an issue in the future?

The manual states the torque should be 2.6kgf/m (if I can dig out a torque wrench I will test this) but if the bolts are not flush with the retaining plate but tight is this not also an issue?

Any advice appreciated.

(ideally I would like the sprocket bolts to stay in place and not loose another chain tensioner and clutch hub/cush drive!)

clutch hub bolts.PNG

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's about 19 Ft Lbs of torque, sorry I'm old, but are you saying they are loose or that they stick out from the Hub? If they are loose then you have to nip them down to the right setting  but if they are sticking out you probably have the wrong bolts in there or the threads are damaged perhaps, if your worried then your best bet is to take it off and have a look at it DON'T guess LOOK. You say that "some were left loose" to get the plate flush, that is obviously wrong so your going to have to take it off and have a look at the problem, these are the sort of short cuts you use on the side of the road to get you home cos if you leave it as a long term fix they usually bite you in the arse.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply slice. All parts are brand new OEM. Two weeks ago a bolt came out and smashed into the swingarm, locking up rear wheel and cracking the 'clutch hub/cush drive' so I replaced all bolts and the clutch hub. I am not great with torque but 19ft lbs doesn't sound like a lot so I did not want to over tighten. They are not sticking out but they are loose, I think you are correct, I will have to remove it all and double check using a torque wrench. Otherwise I assume the threads will get damaged and I will be starting from scratch again with all new parts. Looks like public transport again until the weekend! 

19 Ft Lbs is NOT tight it's just about wrist pressure with a good long spanner, DON'T be tempted to over tighten them either as to tight is just as bad as to loose.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online