Hole in engine casing

xibradersx
This post is 3063 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Basically had a look underneath the engine today and found a little hole in my engine casing, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a little hole there, if someone could help me would be great, on any advice etc as the only thing I can think of is some sort of drainage system 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Moved, introducing yourself would help. we have no idea if your an expert.

The obvious question, were you not concerned that nothing is coming out of said hole.

Hiya, sorry I'm new to this, I've got a Yamaha DT R 125 2001 and no I'm no expert but I've got some knowledge on the basics, and very concerned as haven't found nothing on the internet about it, the thing was making me concerned is its bone dry theres no oil leaks, water leaks etc coming out of this hole, I'm trying to upload a pic as its hard to explain where it is exactly, but its not letting me upload anything bigger than 0.49 mb if you could help you'd be a great help cheers Brad :)

Is it on the bottom of the engine along the join in the cases?

If so nowt to worry about

• Like 1

That looks bad and would guess that someone has broken the piece off, only option is a new casing or patch it.

TTB

Yeah TTB is right I'm afraid you can't keep that you need to repair it or replace it. it's not a choice by the way that will affect how the bike runs the grit getting in is just another of a long list of reasons why that has to be sorted.

That looks bad and would guess that someone has broken the piece off, only option is a new casing or patch it.

TTB

Yeah TTB is right I'm afraid you can't keep that you need to repair it or replace it. it's not a choice by the way that will affect how the bike runs the grit getting in is just another of a long list of reasons why that has to be sorted.

that hole is on all dtr engies to help you split the engine cases 

Edited by Chalkey46
Edit
  • Like 1

Oh ok didn't know that looks like a stone had punched a lump out of it, thanks for letting me know, next time this comes up we will all know not to think it's a major problem. :D

• Like 1

Yeah my DT has it too, shat myself when i saw it, but it's fine lol

Dont believe that , there is a lip on some engines but i have never seen a hole in the case, whats behind the hole anyway.

TTB

It comes up every once in a while, the hole is supposed to be there, probably best described as a deep recess, not so much a hole.

Sure there is an engineer type reason. My guess would be extra metal needed behind the crank maybe for an internal bearing brace and they have cast it hollow to save weight/material.

Cheers you guys are a star!! so would you recommend putting anything over the hole to cover it up so no shite actually goes in there, or just leave it how it is?

Many thanks Brad

I'd say its been fine since 2001 as it is....

• Like 1