Stuck Barrel

mudcow007
This post is 2548 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

For the love of god, has anyone got any ideas how i can release my barrel from my truly rust engine please?

I made a puller that attaches onto the rocker cover bolts then tapped an 8mm bolt so  it coudl be wound down to press on the piston to "pop" the barrel off.

I thought it sounded good in principle, all i managed to achieve was a 8mm hole in the piston :( I then tried to reinforce the piston with the only thing i had to hand - a 50p coin, retried an ended up with a 50p with a 8mm hole through the middle

any thoughts??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Soak the barrel in diesel over night to loosen the piston, then heat the barrel. Should work but you might have to do it a few times. Steel plate over the top of the piston, your local engineers should have some plate knocking about, get them to cut you a lump to fit inside the hole.

• Like 1

What is actually stuck? The barrel to the cases? The barrel to the piston? Or is the whole enchilada stuck?

If the barrel is stuck try using the engine to do it. You have to check change 90per cent of it anyway.

If it will crank you can tap the barrel off after putting something like a trimmed piece of wood in the barrel. Not too snug then pop the head on and crank the kick start. Works like a slide hammer. And no you dont need the clutch just the basket to be in place.

Another option is heat. Use a heat gun and get the cases hot then use brake cleaner to chill down the barrel. The thermal shock may help it come away. Dont use a flame as that is all too easy to melt the ally.

• Like 1

What engine,  rocker cover ?  2 strokes aint got  rockers,  is it the DT, ? make a puller,  you got a welder, ?

Heres mine,  bolt plate to the barrel studs, and push down onto the  casing studs, 

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies, my uneducated guess its the whole deal is locked solid - i also think its stuck in gear aswell as you couldnt move the selector etc...

The engine its attached to is toast with the only things i need to keep from it is - side casing and barrel....

I made a puller/ pusher, like yours attached to the barrel studs, but stupidly i was trying to push off the piston - rookie mistake i know, but didn't know what else to push/ pull off with it all being ally

the engine had sat in diesel for 2 weeks prior to me attacking it :(

possible thoughts now are, seeing as the piston is now goosed, if I try an remove as mush as the piston as i can avoiding the barrel at all costs, could this relieve the strain?

Yeah that would work, hammer out the middle and knock as much away as you can. Tho not sure what that would actually achieve as all you would have is a stuck piston with a big hole in it? Getting it out of gear or disconnected from the gear box would give you some ability to move the piston which you can't at the moment if it's stuck in gear, you could then hammer the piston down the barrel with nothing else connected. Just a thought.

if the piston is stuck with the crank, cutting away the small end will let you take the barrel off.

If both are stuck, then you would have halved the effort removing the barrel taking the piston out of the equation.

The clutch is fkt so what does being in gear matter.

I was thinking that with it in gear you can't rotate the crank, or have I got that wrong?

If the clutch is a gear driven one and not a chain of course.

Edited by slice
  • Like 1

I have a feeling that the neighbours will notice a 100 ounces of shrapnel exiting his garden shed Kev !!

Place a hand grenade with a piece of string tied to the pin in the cylinder barrel .  Replace the cylinder head routing the string through the spark plug hole . When you've the head torqued down , pull on the string and RUN!! .  Should do the trick .

Grenades are not easy to get on the mainland Kev.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online