DT175 engine differences?

mudcow007
This post is 3079 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just been offered a DT175 bottom end that has been in someones shed for years (&years).

The crankcase with the engine numbers is missing so cant confirm its the same model as mine.

Where the engines basically the same/ interchangeable?

Mine is a 2k4 an the bloke selling it has said he was definitely a square swing arm model - like mine

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So the cases are split then?

Ah thats a point, I will find out....

The cases arn't split but there is damage to the right hand case (crack underneath) an looks like the number has been ground off at some point - im told

Edited by mudcow007

Ground off or never stamped in the first place?

My Dt has no stamped number. Dealers were supposed to restamp them. After rplacing cases. (Mine was used as a enduro racer to no success whatsoever)

If the place where the number was is smooth its been ground off. Read nicked.

As far as it matters they are the same. Just the clutch (125/175)  and the oil pump drive gears but as long as they are a proper pair (oil pump and shaft) your ok.

Stator plate and rotor can vary as there were 3 different ig systems used. 4 if you count the nasty elec start.

• Like 1

Cheers Cynic, all the seller has said is "Engine numbers are missing/ unreadable" :(

here is a pic from what i was sent

it looks to be in a damn site better condition than mine...

If its REALLY cheap. Gutter bolts in the sidecase and a welded on gear lever.

Whats so wrong with yours that this looks like anything other than trouble.

Need a picture of the other side to be certain its not an early lc bottom end.

• Like 1

heres what condition mine is in

its only £50, even if i can just use the left hand case, generator etc, its in better condition than mine - which isnt hard

dt1_zpsmy4mmtoq.jpg

im hoping out of 2 rotten apples i can make one good..?

Edited by mudcow007

Yeah. Kinda....

What about... when people go with silly idea's like this.

That engine of yours is well past its prime. Your really starting with a frame and wheels. Why not go off on a tangent.

Fit a tzr engine and alloy wheels. Will cost as much as fixing yours up, maybe less ironically and unless you really go to a lot of trouble. In original trim it will still be an old trailee. No matching numbers etc.

You have to replace most of it anyway so make it a proper animal. Some forks from a later bike. Hell the whole front end from a tzr and build a tracker. With a full power 125. 25 to 30hp from a good one.

Hell of a lot better me thinks.

Nice idea, but i fancy a trialee - I have a couple of mates with ktms that dop endurance rides/ races who constantly moan about the weight of their bikes...i fancy trying to compete against em on the old trusty rusty

Anyways....

Replacement/ donor engine has arrived an looks a million percent better than mine.

Think i will just swap the case over with the number (so they all match), It even still has its oil pump installed  :D

Notice on the top of the piston on the new engine its stamped "100" i'm guessing that is 1.00 so its been re bored at somepoint - what 2 stroke hasnt though?!

No. Dont fall for the "fit a dtr front end". 

It completely fucks the bike to be blunt. Yes the front forks are not fancy. But they work well enough and the bike weigh's nothing and has the turning circle of a forklift. Fit the later forks and gsxr's will out turn you. Not joking.

i have ridden off road plenty of times with the fancy Xr's Wr's etc. 

Yes big jumps are out but with tyres that suit the bike, road legal knobly on the rear and a full knobly on the front you will always be with them on the trails. Just keep fuel in mind as you WILL run out first.

The biggest weakness is cooling. Off road brakes and hp mean squat on trails but mud hits the motor and bakes hard. Trusty Rusty would benefit by going lc. Could mount the rad on the forks behind a minimal headlight.

Whatever engine you do use make sure its sweet as you will spend a lot of time reving its nuts off generating rooster tails of dirt laughing while the others are deciding which rebound setting is best.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online