DT 125 Dying when Accelerating

DJYAM
This post is 3085 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

My DT 125 MX has been running well with very few problems apart from it dying when accelerating quickly. 

The bike runs well but when you pin the accelerator open fast, the bike feels like it doesn't want to go any faster, and the revs drop 'bogs down'. 

I took the carb off and cleaned all the jets, put it back on and still have the same problem. The clean helped slightly but not much. 

At the moment, the air filter is a stocking which isn't ideal, when I remove the air filter the bike dyes much more, even at slower speeds. I tried putting some thicker foam over the intake to in theory 'increase pressure' thinking this might solve the problem as seen as I already cleaned the carb. This made the bike way underpowered and it wouldn't pull off. 

I've seen you can buy cheap replacement carbs of the Internet for the DT but wasn't sure if they'd be any good. 

Since cleaning the carb, the bike started as usual for around half a week.  Forthe the past few days, the bike didn't want to start, it did nothing when being kicked. Then all of a sudden of the 10th or so kick it would start, when the bike had been used for a little while and sat again for an hour or so it would start first or second kick. Just when it had sat overnight and throughout the day it wouldn't start. This sounded like a faulty kill switch but I don't think it can be. Since it doesn't want to start, the bike starts second kick rather than like it did previously on the first kick  

There re is a tiny minute hole on the front end of the exhaust that does let out some air, could this cause such a big decrease in power?

Any advise you have is much appreciated. Should I buy a carb? Should I buy new jets? Should I buy a proper foam filter or will this have the same affect as before? Is there something else I'm missing?

ps. I can't find any leaks in gaskets that might cause loss of pressure. 

Thanks for all

Dan

Edited by DJYAM

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Gut feeling for me is float height. It is something that dt mx's seem sensitive to.

What colour is the plug?