Yam XJ6 brake light not cancelling

cliverlong
This post is 3092 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

For some reason I was checking the brake light on my XJ6 and I noticed the brake light was on. I have worked out the cause is the hand brake lever.

At one end of the hand brake lever is a "paddle" that when the lever is not held (i.e. the brake is not activated) the paddle pushes a little switch (see attached pictures ). I guess this is a very common set up (see attached link to photos). When the switch is pushed by the paddle the brake light is off. When I pull on the brake level the paddle comes away and the switch springs open and the rear brake light comes on. 

The problem is sometimes the paddle does not press the switch enough to switch off the brake light. I can overcome this by "flicking" the brake lever with my fingers, but it is tricky and I shouldn't really do this while riding. Now, over a year ago I was knocked off the bike by white van man and one bit of damage to the bike was a little cover that was part of the brake cylinder (?) arrangement that covered the "plunger" into the master brake cylinder (?) had sheared off. You can see this in one of the photos "brake lever cover sheared"

Now, is it possible the "paddle" is slightly bent and with a bit of heat and bending I can get the paddle to push on to the switch when I release the brake lever?

Regards,

Clive

Edited by cliverlong
small typos

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just buy a new switch unit, it fits to the bottom of the master cylinder and costs about a tenner....

This was after a 2 second google..... http://www.rawpowermotorcycles.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=11779282

Just buy a new switch unit, it fits to the bottom of the master cylinder and costs about a tenner....

This was after a 2 second google..... http://www.rawpowermotorcycles.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=11779282

Thanks for the link to the part. A useful site for spares.

The switch works perfectly, it is just sometimes it is it is not pushed enough by the "paddle".

Clive

Think I'd try a squirt of lubricant or WD40 to the switch and lever pivot bolt first.

The straightforward ideas are the best. I will try this. Ta.

As above, buy a new lever, if it's bent then throw it away and get another one. The last thing you need it to try the brakes and the lever snaps.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online