Will An Engine From a 1985 FZ750 Fit Into A Frame From a 1988 FZ600?

MrFlippant
This post is 3054 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First post! Like the title says; just curious. Slowly putting an FZ600 together, got a spare engine from my Radian that needs a top-end rebuild (TL;DR: over-revved, my fault, lesson learned, moving on) and I was going to put that into it, but today I came across a 1985 FZ750 engine for only a little more than the cheapest price I've found for a top-end gasket set and four piston ring sets for the FZ/XJ/YX600 engine. This project is a bit-by-bit thing anyway, so the idea occurred to me that it might be fun to plug the 5-valve water-cooled 750 in there instead.

I know the frames are similar; but does anyone happen to know if the engine mounts line up between the two models? If not, could I make it work with different mounting brackets at the front? Or would FZ750 lower frame rails match up to the FZ600 main frame? How about chain clearance?

Thanks in advance - cheers!

Edited by MrFlippant
Random Letter Out Of Place

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I doubt it, the FZ was an FZR400 bike originally so its already maxed out.

go and say hello in the new members section first and intro yourself.

Normal practice for that kind of thing is to take the engine cradle from the 750 and graft that onto the 600. Lot of welding, very accurate expensive welding, jig work etc for lets be honest a worse bike.

As said the 600 is a 400 frame with a big motor in it, they had to fit smaller carbs than ideal as it was.

it will fit but you may need to use a large hammer and a JCB digger.. not worth the hassle

• 1 month later...