Pre Divvy XJ900 Rebuild

ShaunLacy
This post is 3095 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, and pleased to meet you all!

I am in the process of getting my XJ9 (85) back on the road. Poor things been stood in my garage for 3 years partially built. I think I have a common problem, the manifold studs are mostly sheered off, and require removing and replacing. Can anyone in the North West point me to a decent engineer who can sort this. I would also welcome any tips or info that would help, and any decent suppliers of second hand part would be great too! The bike doesn't need an awful lot to get back on the road, replacement tank, front left stanchion, rear shocks and the manifold studs sorting. So any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Shaun best place to start is to say hi the new members sec, you'll get a much better response that way, this is the right place to ask questions though as you probably know eBay is best for second hand parts you can set up a search for parts for your bike model and get emails daily, saves a lot of time. Best of luck with your project you've got all winter now to get it ready for next year.

Hi Shaun,

Just finishing my rebuild of an 84 Xj900 31A and have found Fowlers online, CMSNL and Yambits good for new parts and eBay for some new old stock and used parts - Germany seems to be able to supply good secondhand stuff. 

I would suggest buying a pair of stanchions rather than one - I bought a used one but when I fitted it I found that the one I had bought sat 10mm higher in the top yoke. Stanchion was the same length so it was something internal. Check out the rechroming option as you can get two done for less than the cost of two new ones but last time I contacted Pitted Forks they had a 10 week waiting period.

HI, I found fowlers last week and found them very helpful, had to ring em but they were very patient lol.. funnily enough I do need another stanchion, I think you are right, probably better to get a pair so I know they match. Do you know anywhere I can get the old manifold studs removed?

I have sorted the paintwork out and most of the plastics, we re-sprayed them ourselves. I could probably do  with another petrol tank, but its not imperative. once I get the studs replaced I can get it back together and hopefully back on the road for next spring.

Hopefully there will be some group XJ run outs, I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Shaun

. Do you know anywhere I can get the old manifold studs removed?

As you haven't filled out your location and only put northwest, you still could be anywhere!

if your in Manchester, the best place I know is western rebores on Oldham road. they are called something else now but everyone calls them that. 

Ah! I thought I had put Hyde,  I had a look at Western Rebores, I'll give em a bell today, looks like they do exactly what I am looking for. I also have a little CZ250 which needs a couple of jobs doing. I can do mosyt of the cosmetic stuff and some small engineering stuff, I just don't have the tooling for the more complicated stuff!

Cheers for that!

Ah! I thought I had put Hyde,  I had a look at Western Rebores, I'll give em a bell today, looks like they do exactly what I am looking for. I also have a little CZ250 which needs a couple of jobs doing. I can do mosyt of the cosmetic stuff and some small engineering stuff, I just don't have the tooling for the more complicated stuff!

Cheers for that!

no probs. your not too far from me. infact Tommy xs and I ride near there to go to Holmfirth and beyond

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online