MF Battery - can it be charged at home?

125's Enough!
This post is 3104 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Two weeks without use (been out a couple of times on the Derbi in the meanwhile) and when I tried to fire up my Dragstar - flat battery. So I refer to the manual (online here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/612327/Yamaha-Xvs125.html) and read the following:

This model is equipped with a sealed-type (MF) battery, which does not require any maintenance. To charge the battery: Have a Yamaha dealer charge the battery as soon as possible if it seems to have discharged. 

At this stage, I'm thinking WTF. My nearest Yamaha dealers are right on the other side of town, and Yamaha expect me to visit them to charge a flippin' battery. Surely I can charge it myself? And then I read:

To charge a sealed-type (MF)battery, a special (constant-voltage) battery charger is required. Using a conventional battery charger will damage the battery. If you do not have access to a sealed-type (MF) battery charger, have a Yamaha dealer charge your battery.

My battery charger is a standard 12V charger for a car battery. I guess I'd be unwise to attach this to my Dragstar's battery.

Given that the bike is 11 years old and has spend most of its life standing around, is it not time to buy a new battery? From anywhere? Any recommended brands? Any brands to avoid? Or should I pop into any motorbike workshop and ask to get the battery charged?

Many thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you charge a bike battery with a car charger then it's fucked, bike batteries are soooo different, you can buy a cheap bike charger from ebay for about £2

see here  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-ATV-12V-1-25A-Smart-Compact-Battery-Charging-Charger-Black-/281697699655?hash=item41967dc747

They really don't need to be charged quickly as that's what buggers them, car battery chargers also put out more amperage then bike chargers. NEVER EVER charge your bike battery with a car charger.

Great stuff, many thanks - very helpful, esp. the link to the charger. I foolishly ran car battery charger through it for about two-three minutes before reading that I shouldn't. Unplugged it pronto. Hope not too much damage has been done. If it has - a new battery will be needed :-(

You never know whether or not to trust what it says in the manuals. Like cameras - the manual will say 'only use genuine Sony battery/storage card/neck strap etc' when everyone knows it makes not a jot of difference.

Done it! Bought an MF motorcycle battery charger from my local Norauto - plugged it in, charged it up - took seven hours - mounted it back in the bike (fiddly), started first time. Rode my Dragstar 125 round the estate in triumphant mood. Thanks for the help, guys!

• Like 1

Always good to hear that some advice actually worked ! :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online