Electrode heated ratchet system?

IKE
This post is 3104 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have been browsing another site and spotted a vague reference to an electrode heated ratchet socket set used to heat specific areas of nuts/bolts to aid removal. I've done the usual Google/YouTube searches but can't find anything. I'm doing a restoration of an XJ900F (see projects section) and, although I don't need one of these heated thingies at the moment, I think it could be a useful tool to have.

Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Only thing I have ever seen that sounds like what your talking about is "induction heating" with an electric coil arrangement, can be made with 2 - 4 - 6 or more loops, you have to also have a mad amount of power to make the buggers work, plus you get strange effects like this !!! https://youtu.be/VydPQuLyEns

Never heard of that. Do you get them from the same source as the Power Bands?

Ive heated up sockets before and then slipped on the nut sharpish, let the heat transfer through to the nut, and got em undone that way. Much more efficient i guess than electrically heated sockets

Only thing I have ever seen that sounds like what your talking about is "induction heating" with an electric coil arrangement, can be made with 2 - 4 - 6 or more loops,

they had one of those in last weeks  wheeler dealers episode

thinking about this, why not use a coil cigarett lighter, the ones you get in a car?

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?code=5834

That's it Drewpy, knew I had seen it somewhere before, well spotted that man.

• Like 1

Could probably make one with a bit of kanthal or Ni wire and a big enough battery... It's basically a giant ecigarette, applied to teh part instead of a cotton wick.