Remove horn from Virago 250

cliverlong
This post is 3104 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This barely qualifies as a "technical" query, but if I do it wrong I feel there is unlimited opportunity for unnecessary-and-difficult-to-fix damage.

The horn on the resurrected Virago 250 varies between "reedy" and "tooty" (much like my chest this week) - not much use as a horn. Looking at you tube videos of a horn disassembled, I guess for such an old bike the contacts are corroded. The horn seems pretty well sealed, it looks a lot of effort to take it apart and there will probably be leaks after reassembly. Although it would be satisfying to fix the original, I will buy a new horn, something generic like this I am assuming will do the job.

However, I first have to get the original horn off - and like everything on this bike, it is well fixed. I don't want to pull on the wires as probably they will pull straight out of the crimped spade terminals. The little black posts sticking out from the body of the horn I guess provide some mechanical or moisture protection for the wires. I have tried to get a thin screw driver blade under this "post" and lever one off and only succeeded in slightly damaging the post. Any suggestion on how to correctly detach the horn will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Clive

20150926_093105.jpg

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

(Sort of ) fixed. I decided to go around the problem based on a suggestion from one of the you tube videos. I bought a can of electrical contact cleaner (about the same price as a new horn). I drilled a smallish hole in the bottom of the horn so the nozzle of the contact cleaner could just fit. I then hosed the inside of the horn with cleaner. It was interesting to see as the cleaner went in the metal diaphragm of the horn pushed out - so a well sealed device and some pressure there. I swished around the horn to try to get the cleaner covering the contacts then let the cleaner drain out (probably some nasty, volatile fluoro carbon). The horn still sounds a bit "reedy" but is much more reliable and louder than before - so I will count that as a success. I will tape over the hole with some duct tape and hopefully that will stay put.

Oil filter is drying in the sun but looking at the colour of the water containing oil and detergent the filter looked as though it didn't need cleaning. Can't do any harm to clean it out though (can it?).

Clive

Best advice, cut the cables, fit new connectors then buy new horn, this is the only thing between the dick head that turns right across your path and a hospital bed. Are you saying that you have WASHED your oil filter? Or have I misunderstood you?

Best advice, cut the cables, fit new connectors then buy new horn, this is the only thing between the dick head that turns right across your path and a hospital bed. Are you saying that you have WASHED your oil filter? Or have I misunderstood you?

Air filter (oops)

Ha Ha Ha !! Thought so, never seen a washable OIL filter. Please buy a new horn, it really is best, I know keeping the original "LOOK" is important to you but some things are more important.

Please buy a new horn, it really is best, I know keeping the original "LOOK" is important to you but some things are more important.

Will do. I managed to get the spade connectors off the horn by gently attacking the horn with a hammer.

• Like 3

You know it makes sense, Image result for emoticons hammer

• Like 1

Ha Ha Ha !! Thought so, never seen a washable OIL filter. Please buy a new horn, it really is best, I know keeping the original "LOOK" is important to you but some things are more important.

The CG125 has a washable oil filter . I guess other bikes just haven't caught up with this level of hi-tech just yet .

there used to be an aftermarket oil filter for American cars in the 60's that used toilet rolls.

I think you can still buy one too

http://www.frantzoil.com/TOILETPAPER.html

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online