thunderace misfire

4652alan
This post is 3105 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys I have a 2000 thunderace and when I took it out of the shed the other morning it seemed to have developed a misfire . very lumpy at low revs and not wanting to pick up unless given a handful and stinking of petrol

I have replaced the standard exhaust with a stubby race can and thought this could have caused the problem but after replacing the standard exhaust yhe misfire continues

could it be as simple as a plug off or something more serious

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Alan, Have you changed the plugs? tested the HT leads? or the coils? If it stinks of petrol then it can only be a plug not firing, the answer is easy and so is the solution.

How long since you last used it? anymore than a month and I would put new fuel in. That engine is quite sensitive to stale fuel.

There are periods of my bikes life where it doesn't get used for long periods. What I have found is that when I approach my house I will switch the fuel off and run the engine until the carbs are empty. The fuel in the tank remains fresh and the carbs will not get gummed up.

I appreciate this may not be able to get done if you have vacuum carbs with no off position on the petrol tap 

• Like 1

FJR has injectors Jimmy, I'm fucked !!!

• Like 1

have changed all plugs and checked all leads and such  plugs 2 and 4 were wet the problem appears too be cabs flooding and choking been told to clean carbs and check for sticky floats

and so it begins; sadly whilst the FZR1000 and Thunderace are sensational bikes, those Mikuni carbs give long term reliability issues. The Thunderaces carbs are the worst of the lot, as the emulsion tubes are not replaceable.

Been there, done that - good luck to you with this/

Just replaced the suppressor cap on one of my plugs as it had a miss fire the other day .

Found the wire clip inside the suppressor cap had fallen out and the cap was loose on the plug.Just a thought .

Just replaced the suppressor cap on one of my plugs as it had a miss fire the other day .

is she a relative of miss doubtfire?

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online