DT175MX too far gone?

mudcow007
This post is 3113 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, i was given this last year

It's a DT175MX 1979 single shock

it had sat in a garden for about 8 years (I reckon longer) on its side, flywheel up (without that side of the casing on) uncovered an unloved

The bloke who gave me it said he bought it with his paper round money an was genuinely gutted to see it go - cant see why

Anyways, as soon as i got it home took the engine out an left it as that

fast forward to tonight an thought I would attack it

After fighting with rusted rounded off screws, I managed to get the clutch side cover off  8O    :cry:

I reckon it will need new clutch plates......

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yah think! Looks like the 2 Suzis I jut bought, nothing is beyond repair it's just can you be bothered. The thing is these little bikes turn into really smart little bikes when they are fully fettled.

Ironically that engine will more than likely be fixable, engine rebuild is an engine rebuild.

Stripped cleaned new clutch and rebore, bit of vapour blasting and a crank rebuild and its as good as any other. Frame on the face of it seems ok. Sw arm is scrap but the shock will most likely be good.

Hubs too will likely be ok as well. No I don't think its a write off if your enthusiastic and the bike has sentimental attachment, like mine I have had it getting on 30 years.

But you can buy a working dt with mot for under 500 quid if you just want it running, can you rescue that with that amount of cash, ??

• Like 3

Hello all

cheers for the words of encouragement, others have told me to scrap it......but i hate throwing stuff away an lets face it if everytime something got rusty  it was scrapped there woudl be nowt left!

bit of an update

Bit stuck on taking the head off, one of the alloy "slugs/ bolts" is chewed to buggery. any ideas?

also struggling with the lock nut on the flywheel

oh found a bit of damage to the case, there is a crack under the selector shaft, hoping thats not terminal......

updates to follow

regarding the cylinder sleeve nut

Always use a 6 point socket on these aluminium nuts, never use a 12 point one

so get the correct sized 6 point one, shove a strip of medium / coarse grit emery cloth into the socket and tap it down onto the nut...blowtorch the side of the nut to get a bit of heat into it and try again

• Like 3

Yeh,  my dt400. had 3 stripped cylinder sleeve nuts, .  I drilled down thru them , [ 6mm/ 8mm/10mm/ 16mm bits]  made a puller and dragged the barrel off,   Heres the puller.

P1000540.jpg

Edited by blackhat250

Yeh,  my dt400. had 3 stripped cylinder sleeve nuts, .  I drilled down thru them , [ 6mm/ 8mm/10mm/ 16mm bits]  made a puller and dragged the barrel off,   Heres the puller.

P1000540.jpg

bit baffled by that john, how can you drill the nuts off and leave the studs intact...?

dDrilled   right thu studs too,  measured the depth with Vernier,  so never touched cases,  left small stubs of studs,  mole grips- and new studs, :thumb:

• Like 2

bit of an update, managed to get that pesky aluminium stud out....tried heat etc an still wouldn't budge so ended up smacking a smaller socket on an was able to get a grip on it :)

still havent managed to get the barrel off though, seems stuck solid - any ideas?

bad news though, the crack i found by the selector shaft looks quite bad.....

thoughts? is it game over?

20151006_193039_zpsbwlhuwg4.jpg

20151006_193050_zpsa4fbh8oc.jpg

the engine/ frame are matching numbers so would ideally like to try an keep them together

Pssst, I think the engine number is on the OTHER sidecase.

Just change this one, at a guess I would say that damage is from ice.

• Like 1

Mine had landed on a rock and cracked case. Shaft was bent too and difficult to get out. Found good shaft and case in USA and kept matching numbers. 

I used stuff called " Multi Poxy Aluminium " , a type of two pack epoxy resin containing aluminium particles , to fix a hole in a KLR 250 crankcase . Worked a treat .  A more modern front end with a disc brake would be an easy upgrade if you decide to go ahead with it .  I  hope you do, my first bike was a DT and they're a great little bike .  I'd say most of the essential parts are still available .

Bloody ell " that's the worst  av seen ,,:icon_eek:,

To remove the barrel , make a puller like my pic.   I used the centre"s of old 3 leg pullers, welded to a bar,. ,

IF YOU BELT IT WITH A HAMMER ,  =  broken fins, 

Nigel, if your wife reads this and see's what you said about her cooking you are so FUCKED :lol:

Edited by slice
  • Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online