Yamaha XV250 Virago - pod on RHS?

cliverlong
This post is 2916 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Out of interest, when you look at the front of the bike, the left hand "pod" above the cylinder and below the fuel tank contains the air filter. What does the similar looking right-hand side "pod" contain?

Thanks,

Clive

20150925_154438.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok I'll bite "Fairy dust"? :lol:

I'll own up. I tried to take off the right hand "pod". When I remove the lower bolt, dark oily liquid flowed out. Recovering from my surprise I quickly decided it would be a good idea to put the bolt back in. I thought "oil?" but why oil in the frame? I thought "brake fluid?" then "shit!", again why brake fluid in the frame? When I mopped up the fluid on the driveway it looked to me like old engine oil - maybe it was. ?? !! :( Certainly not dusty enough for fairies.

Might be a breather hose connection, just guessing mind as I really have no idea, but when the engine breaths through the crank case it also spits out vapour that condenses, usually the bottom or side of the air box, might be that or something completely different, someone on here must know, have you got the manual? Sorry I can't be of more help !

have you got the manual? Sorry I can't be of more help !

Yep, I have the 300-odd page service manual and I can't find a reference to this object, but then "right-hand pod" isn't very descriptive and the file isn't searchable.

Clive

Look under frame and fittings, nearly always an after though, some things are mentioned in passing like they don't matter.

Another forum claims the pod contains a "Carburetor heater".

I'm still intrigued what the liquid was in the frame that started to flow out when I undid one of the screws holding the left pod in place. I won't be fiddling with that again.

Clive

Well done NSD, knew someone would know. Image result for emoticons cheer

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hey fallas, not to highjack a conversation but ive been baffled by a simular issue that me and my homies have no answers for reguarding a bike that has not run in a year and i finally got her runnin for bout 5 mins and cut her off a few mins later i got a puddle of oil under the bike and it was running out from a hole in the airbox that the ai. Only one place it could have come from and thats the carbs  but how in the hell does the carbs spit up motor oil is beyonf the limits of my understanding. 81xj 650 btw

Str, can I suggest that you start a "new" thread in the workshop section with this problem, you will get more views if it's a new item rather than tacked to the back of an old thread. Just sayin.