DT125R - Electric Start / Starter Motor

NoviceNick
This post is 3142 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

My first query on here so go easy if format etc not as preferred. As my screen name suggests I am a novice to this but appreciate any help you guys can give.

I have a 1996 (i think) DT125R which has been lying unused for circa 4 years. I have today fitted a new battery. When I switch the ignition on the bike makes the general start up noises suggesting that power is coming from the battery. However when I press the electric start the starter motor just clicks rather than starting the bike.

I have had a look round the boards and couldn't find anything similar that may help but apologies if i have missed something obvious.

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Cheers,

Nicky

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi there 

Do you have a multimeter ? if so check the voltage out of the starter relay the heavy wire to the starter motor. when you press the start button you should have twelve volts going to the starter motor. if you do then either the starter motor is kaput or as the bike has stood for so long something could be seized. have you tried turning the engine over by hand?

cheers

nigel 

ps i did not think they added the electric start until the 2000s

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the advice I will give that a go tomorrow.

Interesting point about the electric start, I initially thought it was a year 00, however upon checking the VIN on AJ Sutton website it suggests its a 1996 model. VIN is 3MD. Do you think AJ Sutton site inaccurate?

Cheers,

Nicky

Hi

Not sure about Suttons Yamaha Europe parts list tells you your bike from the vin. could have a later engine fitted.

nige

Think the first electric start in uk was the dt125re 2004 when they work there great when they go wrong its lots of pounds your talking £250 for a new yamaha starter motor.

Thanks Nigel that is a good tip, I have spent the evening searching and emailing breakers with little joy thus far. Im pretty confused now about the bikes age because its definitely electric start (no kick even supplied other than a plastic cover where it should be). But the VIN and look of the frame suggests is much older than that. See below photo for your reference - its a bit of a mess at the moment.

I guess like you say, the engine may have been replaced at some point.

IMG_5642.thumb.JPG.cd059d4c254e1924684a3

Edited by NoviceNick

The seat and tank do look older but im no expert, As for the starter motor you can always run the heavy cable from the motor directly to the battery to see if you get any movement.

you can buy brushes for the motor but not much else,

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/yamaha-parts/motorcycles/dt125x-2006/starting-motor-353958.aspx

i have had parts from this site and prices are not to bad,

hope this helps

nige