New XV 950 Gearbox issue ??

bambiker
This post is 3120 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently bought an XV 950 after 30 years off the road. A fantastic ride, nice a low for a short arse and ideal through the London traffic. A couple of issues though......It definitely needs the bobber seat, the shocks just aren't up to it, but still bearable. My real issue is the gearbox, really quite clunky and on occasion the gear lever wont budge usually going up from 2nd to 3rd, until I re-apply the clutch. Had the clutch adjusted at first service, but it really hasn't made a great deal of difference. Anyone know if this clunky gear change and sticking lever is a known issue and should I be returning to the dealer to have this sorted, or am I stuck with the noisy gear change?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've had the XJ750 Fj1200 and now the FJR1300 and they all clunk, so do Hondas & Suzukis unless your really clever with timing the gear change, best thing I can say is to try to gauge the gear change to the engine speed, maybe even blip the throttle when changing up or down to prevent the selector from banging against the gear shift. as for it being stiff to change gears it should not be stiff but firm.