Ad-Hoc Scotland Adventure!

bippo
This post is 3096 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well guys - firstly, I wanted to say sorry for not making it to Squires this year.   Looking through the photos & videos it did look like a cracking time.   Oh well, there's always next year.

Basically, things have been a little manic at work with me, and this weekend rather snuck up.   Any way, looking through my work calendar I'd realised I'd booked Monday and Tuesday off work, great!   There were two things I'd told myself last year - firstly that I would do another Iron Butt ride (what's wrong with me?!) and secondly that I would go and explore Scotland.   The decent weather is rapidly running out on us and I've not been out on the bike as much as I'd hoped, so a trip to Squires wasn't going to cut it.   I needed to go somewhere further afield.   I wisely chose to explore Scotland over the Iron Butt ride, and wasn't disappointed.

So with no planning other than a quick check of the bike, I packed up my camping gear and set off at lunchtime on Saturday.   I had absolutely no agenda to this trip and no planned routes.   Only rules were:

1. Ride!

2. Enjoy yourself.

3. Wild camp.

Saturday

As I was leaving late on Saturday with daylight hours fading, I pressed straight onto my destination - a nice camping spot I'd found on a walk with my dog the other month.   Headed straight up to Glasgow, over the Erskine Bridge then onto Glencoe.   Had made good time so played around there for a bit before grabbing some food / drink supplies and making it to Corran for a ferry over Loch Linnhe, then on towards Laga for my pitch by Loch Sunnart.   A short day due to me leaving home late, but 7 hours later and 385 miles later I had a place to sleep.

There was no place to leave my bike on the road (narrow single track), so I unloaded it and backed it down a muddy / grassy / rocky slope.   Left in gear, and using a side stand puck, so took a gamble that it was sturdy for the night, balancing on some stones...   It was!   However, in moving the bike into place, I'd succumbed to the Scottish midge as they merrily dry-humped the only bit of skin I had on show - eye lids and cheeks, as I'd kept all my bike gear on because they were everywhere.   Even my insect repellent didn't seem to do much.   I couldn't keep my visor down because I was boiling and immediately fogged.   I realised it was going to be bad as it was quite humid and there was zero breeze in the air.   Not much I could do really.

The downside to the midges, was I wasn't able to cook outside and enjoy the peace, so I just stayed in the tent thinking about what I'd be doing tomorrow...   There was one point where something small and furry tried to do away with some chocolate buttons I left in the vestibule of my tent, but being a woman I'm gifted with heightened chocolate-sensing powers, so I sprung into action pronto.   Lesson learnt, from now on, the chocolate will always sleep inside with me...

Sunday

I had a rather stressful start to the day as the midges were everywhere outside my tent, making cleaning my teeth, moving the bike and loading up a nightmare.   If anyone had been watching from afar I would have looked like a lunatic, frantically running around shaking my head.   Tourists, eh?!   I covered myself up as much as possible, and doused insect repellent everywhere, but it wasn't really enough.   They just kept going for my face which I had to leave uncovered as it was so muggy.   Anyway, between the running, and the shaking, and the swearing, and the insect repellent in my eye I was able to get packed away.

Aside from that, it wasn't without it's own drama...   It had rained, so the bank I backed my bike down was now muddy...   Stood by the side of my bike, I started it up and relied on the engine to do the pushing whilst I did the guiding.   I moved forward slightly and it got stuck, wheeled it back and tried a different route forward - but got stuck again...   Repeat several times whilst beginning to get into a classic "lady flap" (in between my patented "shake, curse and run" midge repellent), I was at a loss.   Until it hit me...   In my mundane end of ride routine last night I'd put the disc lock on...!   Why I don't know, as I was in the middle of nowhere, so it was clearly a sub-conscious action.   Sheepishly removed said device and the bike moved forward.   There was only one part where it got stuck in the mud, but I managed it!   So back on the road, I loaded up, and feeling flustered, road away to clear the midges from every crevice of my face.

Finally...   away from that I could enjoy myself once more!   After a pitstop to ditch my rubbish I headed to Glenuig, Fort William, Fort Augustus and Kyle of Lochalsh.   Over the Skye Bridge for a ride around Skye I then started to think about my next camping spot.   With no real basis other than my own thoughts, I decided midges would be less abundant away from a water source, and also more sparse on the East side of Scotland...   Whether that's right or not, I don't know - but my head was telling me that was correct.   Before heading East, from Skye I took a cheeky detour up to Strathcarron.

It was in Strathcarron where I stopped for a head net to keep blood pressure at a normal level during tent pitching.   I may look like a prat, and perhaps they aren't the 'done thing' by the locals, but being in no-mans-land, I didn't care. It was here where I had my first near miss.   Stood by my bike, a local drove past me and pulled up in front (about a car and a half lengths away from me).   He ran into the shop then appeared soon after.   Note that not only had he driven past me, he also walked towards me from the shop to get back to his car - a second chance to clock me.   I had my earplugs in and helmet on, looking down as I was putting my gloves on.   Suddenly I heard the sound of a car reversing at speed (horrid wurring noise).   I looked up to see him reversing at speed towards me and my bike.   Manic shouting and my fist in his rear light cluster made him stop just shy of my wing mirror...!   All good though, forgive and forget - no damage done!   Well I say forgive and forget...   Mr. Land Rover Discovery driver with your custom paint job and private numberplate...   :angry2:   ha ha!

Anyway, feeling thankful, I went onto Applecross before making tracks to Inverness for fuel, food and drink, and that 'elusive midge-free East coast'?!?!   Silly girl...   So from there I went up to Helmsdale and somewhere nearby, found a spot by a single track road where the bike could stay on solid ground.   The great news was that the wind had picked up meaning I had a lovely relaxed tent pitching and time to enjoy the peace, free from midges.

A further 7 hours in the saddle, 330 miles, and 0 amount of chocolate stolen.

Monday

Woke this morning to an incredibly swollen face from all the midge bites.   I had been taking tablets religiously, but didn't help.   My eyes were the worst part of me.   I do have a photo, but it's too atrocious to show...   Anyway, armed with my head net, packing up was bliss - so I pressed on and hoped my eyes wouldn't give me too much grieve throughout the day.

Straight up to John O'Groats, for a piccie as had never been before.   At least it isn't the money making scheme you find at Lands End...   Had a little chat with a fellow biker - a lovely Scot who was out for a ride on his cruiser.   It was from there I took the lovely scenic coastal path to Ullapool - miles of empty, twisty, smooth road with glorious scenery, and thankfully - the weather to match!   Had a blast on that road, and for the amount of miles covered, takes a good while to complete, but worth it in every sense.   From there, back down to Inverness then Elgin and down to the Cairngorms National Park.   Had a play around there for a bit - not really sure where I went though...   Originally I had planned to camp again, but  every spot I found was just in-undated with midges.   Although I now had a head net, I found I wasn't in the mood.   So from there, took the decision to head home.   I took a slow ride home as I hadn't ridden for that many miles in quote some time.   In addition to that, I spent 90% of the time between Glasgow and Kendal in thick fog.   So I ended my ride with a total of 1450 miles over the days and 29 hours of riding.   Bike averaged 58.7mpg throughout which I didn't think was bad.

So in summary, I had an amazing time.   It was great to be out on the bike (which was faultless), and the weather was perfect for riding and camping in.   I really enjoyed camping and wish I had just sucked it up and did it for the 3rd night, but no worries.

My camping gear is already tried and tested, but I was glad I took the time on Saturday to establish a logical way of packing it so I could quickly pitch and find things.   Simple considerations like packing my sleeping bag, pillow and liner ready-made together was quicker and packed down smaller than if they were individual.   There were perhaps a couple of things I didn't use, so will consider for next time - but packed very lightly otherwise.

With regards to the bike, I'll be getting some throw-over panniers for my next trip like that.   It has very limited luggage capacity, so I had no choice but to use a backpack.

The midges are a pain, of course - but I'll be back, and the head net will be coming with me...!   I've never been waved at by so many other bikers, it's almost like a nod just isn't enough!   The roads are amazing, and the scenery...   well my smart phone just doesn't do them justice!   Will post up pictures once I've finished uploading them.

• Like 5

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Saturday

Somewhere near Glencoe:

Very brief (and poor) photo on a ferry - first time on a boat with my bike, ha!:

My campsite for the night:

And my view from the campsite:

Sunday

Somewhere in Scotland (sorry, I didn't plan my routes or take a map...!):

Lovely bit of stone stacking, with a view to boot:

Another view of Scotland...:

Much needed shots of energy:

Bring it on, midges:

Campsite for night 2:

Monday

John O'Groats:

Somewhere on the road to Ullapool, you can just see the road snaking off into the distance:

More shots from the road to Ullapool:

• Like 5

Beautiful Bippo, well done you, made me laugh as well you must have looked a sight with that head net on but better than the alternative. Are you sure you were in Scotland? as the sun is shining and there's not a pub in sight. :D

Bipps

Hope you had a great time. For future reference if you order some Avon 'Skin So Soft' (the bluey green bottle) that works better than any midgie repellent stuff on the market. I worked as a dog handler for 14yrs and that SSS is a lifesaver. It doesn't stop them landing on you but they will not bite you with that on 

I fully understand the demented swinging around of arms etc,  I used to swing a dog lead around above my head and shout like a mad thing....but the wee fekkers didn't give a shit

Thanks Slice. I did look like a tool with the head net - no denying it. But certainly made things easier, just a shame the damage was already done...!

I was lucky with the weather wasn't I? Only moments of slight drizzle, but no proper rain. So thankful else it would have made camping a bit of a drag.

As for the lack of pubs - don't worry, there is a whiskey pump at every petrol station, so was well sorted...

Thanks for the suggestion Jimmy - I've heard about that stuff, so will give it a try next time, as there will be a next time!

Well done bip " :icon_cool: the only dry week this summer up here ,   that road along the top then down to Ullapool is spectacular, you passed over a huge bridge ,  amazing eh,  not a car in sight either,  the cairngorm park , did you do  tomintoul  to ballater, then braemar, ? [ cracking run] or down the dreaded A9. to go south ?.

Aye midgies ,  I had to pack up with helmet on,  visor shut too,  mental,,,

Edited by blackhat250

Yeah, I definitely got lucky with the weather Blackie - it was amazing!

I can't get over the John O'Groats to Ullapool road, definitely worth doing again. I'd like to head there again next year but head off to somewhere like Stornoway or Orkney for a day also.

I can't remember where I went through the Cairngorms, but it wasn't the A9, just plenty of small quiet roads - was amazing. Could do with exploring that area more as the sun went down whilst I was there so there were suddenly no views to enjoy!

You guys are so lucky to have delightful roads and scenery like that.

I remmeber the midges when I went to pitlocery as a nipper. had to get special small holed head net.

skin so soft is good stuff too, I just keep forgetting I have it.

Glad you had a great weekend though, days like that are getting rarer I think. good on ya :)

• Like 1

Bippo. You are flipping marvelous!!  Your the type of lass that will put most male bikers to shame and I'm one of them! 

Hats of to you hun and once again yet another fantastic write up and loved reading it. 

The lack of traffic is the best bit up here,    I canna get over the cars down your way , I  rode over to Glossip last Friday from Pontefract.  nose to tail motors,,,    fk that every day ,,,:eusa_doh:

+1 for skin so soft.

I also carry two head nets in my camping gear all the time.

Looks like you had a great time.

I had planned on squires also but had family matters to deal with

Looks like a great adventure - I do love my country!

Thanks all! Oh and Blackhat, the traffic around Glossop is nothing compared with London way. I love the peace of Glossop compared with Surrey and working in Central London! But without a doubt, you Scots win overall. Even if at times it left me wondering what would happen if I took a corner wrong on one of those quiet roads...

Vayduh - glad to hear that you also carry head nets. Didn't know if I was just going to look like a complete tourist melon instead of a standard melon...! I did have some youths in a "tricked out" Corsa circle a car park in some village to get a second look at me with it on, ha ha!

Will defo try this skin so soft next time.

Brilliant bips really enjoyed reading that, those energy shots are my favourites :wub:

Edited by meatloaf

• 3 weeks later...

With such cracking weather I just had to sneak away again. Set off at 7am on Saturday - straight to the Yorkshire Dales where I began in Skipton. It was a very cold start to the day with pockets of thick fog. En route (somewhere near Grassington) I had a quick comfort stop and watched the fog roll away.

With the sun warming me up I pressed on and worked my way up to Hawes. Fuelled up then went to tackle Buttertubs Pass. Probably would have been more fun if it wasn't covered by a blanket of fog! Anyway with the fog cleared again I took some fun B roads towards Nateby. You wouldn't think by looking at this picture that the fog would return a few miles down the road and leave me bimbling along in 2nd gear... Visibility was incredibly poor!

With the Yorkshire Dales done for this trip, I headed off to the Lake District. From Penrith to Keswick then down to Lake Coniston. I was supposed to be heading to Scotland but found myself going further South... Down to Millom in fact. Only at that point did I come to my senses and head back North, following the coast, all the way up towards Carlisle then Gretna Green.

Finally in Scotland I made tracks towards Dumfries. I had my mind set on camping in Galloway Forest Park. Took some cracking B roads towards Clatteringshaws Loch. With the sun fading rapidly I was on the look out for somewhere to pitch up. I didn't realise just how many roads in the Park would by loose gravel (or worse). Still, for a good camping spot I had no choice but to head off the "main" road. I finally found a suitable spot and pitched up in fading light. It was a really calm night, so I just used the essential pegs and guy lines to get the job done.

I knew Galloway was a Dark Sky Park - but I was in for a treat. From 19.40 to well after 23.00 I just stood outside my tent looking up at the sky. It was cold, but a perfectly clear night where I gazed in awe. I was rewarded with the Milky Way and shooting stars - it was great! No pictures I'm afraid as a camera phone isn't up to the job. Unlike my last trip, I was able to cook outside as the midges were huddled at home trying to keep warm.

Considering the cold - and the fact I only had my 1 season sleeping bag, I wasn't too cold. Of course I had layered up, but I was expecting worse. As a result, I slept well.

A leisurely pack up this morning where I then retraced back towards Gretna Green. Meandered about somewhere from there until I stumbled across Hadrian's Wall, so stopped for a very quick snap.

From there it was over to the North Pennines AONB where I took some brilliant roads down through Stanhope, Barnard Castle and Richmond before deciding to make tracks for home. Just over 700 miles, a very dirty/dusty bike, great memories and a big ass grin!
  • Like 3

nice rip, that pan is plenty big enough for 4 peeps. were you expecting visitors?

nice rip, that pan is plenty big enough for 4 peeps. were you expecting visitors?

I think the photo is misleading, it's this - http://www.gsioutdoors.com/pinnacle-soloist.html, so a single person cooking pot.   It's just the right size to store a mug, smaller gas canister than the one pictured, stove, matches and cutlery in.   Or substitute the gas canister, for any other odds and sods you don't want falling about the place.

I think the photo is misleading, it's this - http://www.gsioutdoors.com/pinnacle-soloist.html, so a single person cooking pot.   It's just the right size to store a mug, smaller gas canister than the one pictured, stove, matches and cutlery in.   Or substitute the gas canister, for any other odds and sods you don't want falling about the place.

cool, must be the perspective