Project hakka

Noise
This post is 2774 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Come to think of it a few horns would look cool Haha

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Busy night tonight, so scary taking the angle grinder to the sub frame but needs must and now the seat unit is duck taped in place awaiting the steel tube to arrive to rebuild the frame.

DSC_0277_zps8ihjr04x.jpg

DSC_0278_zpspr6x9kyr.jpg

Little update, got new steel bar and tubing to re make the sub frame to secure the seat, I just need to take the bar into work and shape two slugs on the lathe to fix it all together. 

Also had the sexy new headlight screen delivered today and had to fit it as soon as.

All the way from Germany 

• Like 1

Finally got hold of a pipe bender and tried out the new welder to tack it in place, and I'm pleased to say that the tacks are good enough to take the weight of my fat ass.

Little more done tonight still getting used to the welder and it's best(ish) set up but atleast I can lift the rear of the bike up without them snapping. 

Cross strut in place, one more to go. 

When I was an apprentice, we used to call that type of weld a 'snotter' 

Did you put slugs in the frame

1 hour ago, jimmy said:

hopefully hollow ones. really needs holes drilled and weld filled too onto the slugs

9 hours ago, jimmy said:

Yer i can see why you called them that, not the neatest way to weld im sure, think that when i move house next year and get a bigger cave i will up grade a fair few of the toys. I slugged the frame with 1" bar top and bottom.

8 hours ago, drewpy said:

hopefully hollow ones. really needs holes drilled and weld filled too onto the slugs

I did not know this tho, as i have already fitted the slugs and welded the fram over the top, is it a good idea for me to drill 1/4" into the slug and plug weld the hole up or will this just inadvertantly make the slug/frame weak in that spot?

14 hours ago, Noise said:

I did not know this tho, as i have already fitted the slugs and welded the fram over the top, is it a good idea for me to drill 1/4" into the slug and plug weld the hole up or will this just inadvertantly make the slug/frame weak in that spot?

with the slugs being solid, there will be no "give" in that part of the frame. You may find the frame fracturing where the slug ends inside the tubing.

I would still drill the outer frame over the slugs so you can get some weld onto the slug  there or you will get movement when the frame flexes

• Like 1

Brilliant thanks for the advise, luckly you spotted it before i got round to painting it haha

2 hours ago, Noise said:

Brilliant thanks for the advise, luckly you spotted it before i got round to painting it haha

heres the thread on slugging with a link to chopper underground on the subject

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, after a little advice if possible?

Making good progress on the build, so i decided to plug the loom in and see if she would turn over to move the oil around the motor. All plugs in and fully charged battery, turn the key (head light and rear light come on) push the starter button.......................nothing. checked the kill switch and that was on "run"

Tried to turn the lights off on the switch gear and they just stay on, tried the horn and that too failed to work, same with the indicators and high low switch. I then also noticed that the idiot lights do not work???

I have not messed with the loom at all as im not even going to open that can of worms again and it all worked before the bike was stripped down so im baffled as to why only the lights come on and stay on and thing else works. I shorted out the starter relay with the screw driver which did rotate the engine but this is just bypassing the problem.

Is this a possible earth problem do you think?

sounds like an earth or live issue.

Leccy will always find the easiest path so that's through the headlamps to earth.

Most newish bikes (my '87 FZ does)  have diodes which prevent back flow. maybe that's been omitted?

• Like 1

Yeah Noise, sounds like an earth problem mate. Have you painted the frame? If so clean the areas off that the earth wires attach to, had a similar thing with the XJ rear lights, forgot to mask the threads off.

• Like 1

Yer i painted the frame and also the engine had been painted before i inherited it. Thank you all for confirming this for me, i'll get back onto the wiring as soon as i have finished painting the fuel tank and will report back with the findings.

Kinda want this on the road now as the weather is picking up and i haven't ridden since i sold Betty. :(

Here be a few piccies for you all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got some light at the end of the tunnel today. Took her out in the sun for a little wash as she was covered in dust. Just waiting on the seat bracket to dry then do the rear brake and the electrics and hopefully have her started next week. 

• Like 1