Project hakka

Noise
This post is 2773 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sad story to this one, my mum n stepdad just lost their house they had it on a mortgage years ago but after being laid off they couldn't keep up the payments so they sold it to a bloke who rented it back to them. 8 years forward to today he has now told them that he's selling them so they are having to down size to a 2 bed cottage with no garage so being the best mate I could ever have he has just gave me his project bike which is a 1996 600 bandit. 

As it sits now in the shed

Gotta go out there during the week and sort through it all. 

The motor is perfect, all new stainlesbolts 

I have basically just got to buy a few more bits,paint it and assemble her.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

wow, a yin and yan thing there.

gutted they are losing their home, but happy you are keeping the bike and finishing it off. maybe you could let him have a go when its all finished?

• Like 1

To be total Ying and Yang, maybe you should give him it back as a gift when you've finished it

• Like 4

Oh man, with the engine at that stage you have just GOT to drop a 750 top end on. At the very least use a later shimmed individual rocker valve gear. Instead of those Y shaped things.

To be total Ying and Yang, maybe you should give him it back as a gift when you've finished it

Thats exactly what i was going to do but he knows me too well and when he gave me the V5 he told me to never give it back as he doesn't want to leave it out side his new house (he's not one to leave things out in the rain) 

Oh man, with the engine at that stage you have just GOT to drop a 750 top end on. At the very least use a later shimmed individual rocker valve gear. Instead of those Y shaped things.

I could do, but Phil (step dad) has already bought a new head with valves, stem seal etc etc to go back on so it would be a shame just to push his hard work to one side. what im thinking is just carry on from where he left off but pop my own spin on things but obviously not turning it into a hard tail chop ha-ha

• Like 1

It just seems a good time to squeak the bandit up a touch. The 1200 was awesome till they watercooled it. The 600 was set up as a commuter, a Suzuki divvy if you like but that engine has far more in it than any divvy engine (sorry yam). Go too far and gearboxes explode but 100hp is in there with the right parts, that's staying with 600cc too.

My old GSXf looked stock save for a bigger rear wheel and a 4-2-1 (that exhaust config works MUCH better on oilcooled Suzuki 4's) pipe.

150mph, that's 13500 rpm bouncing the limiter on stock gearing, over the mountain at the TT and enough acceleration to embarrass a zx6 (to 120 ish).

Just saying.........?

You go for pretty paint, I got a thing for the oily bits. Looks stock and flying is my thing.

Edited by Cynic
  • Like 2

Grrrr...........

Now your sticking thoughts in my head and the wifes already pissy at the fact i gotta now build two bikes ha-ha.

So, what is needed to get a bit more poke out this old girl with out spending a wad of cash (bare in mine the Honda is where im wanting the money to go ;) )

Good exhaust is a MUST. Remus was the one I used, lifetine guarantee on a full stainless race system, pick whatever can you want, its the 4-2-1 bit that makes it work. TTS in Towcester had my bike's spec as a Bandit upgrade package after the success of mine.

Ig advancer and run premium, then you can have the jetting done professionally, different in the centre cyl's to the outers. Guys that did mine used little drills in the carbs.

GSXf 600 valve gear, not the nasty screw and locknut y type you have. The later GSXf had the valve gear from the gsxr750. They use shims and give you another 2000rpm or so.

With it set up right it will light up at 6k and really fuck off at 7, just like a gsxr, and unlike a 600 bandit, difference is the 600 is a long stroke engine so torqueyer than the 750, gives you 886 with 750 barrels (after machining the top case) but that eats the gearbox if you spank it too much as the 600 doesent have the thrust bearings the 750 has, (people keep quiet about that).

Filter obviously and Vernier cam sprockets with some racier cams if you feel the urge. That's all I had in mine. Exhaust was the juicy bit at 6-700 quid depending on material.

The valve gear and the exhaust is the magic beans. Keep the inlets as tight as you can and run the exhausts lose ie extreems of spec and your flying. But it will look like a bone stock 70hp bandit.

ps, erm, don't expect to save fuel. Expect to go from 60mpg to 35/40 and far less at say the IOM. Couldn't do 2 laps.......! 

pps good oil is a MUST. I sold mine at 34000 miles (bought/tuned at 1800) after a totally trouble free life in rock synthesis 4

Edited by Cynic
  • Like 1

Here are some pics of the old girl, if my back had not gone I would never have sold it......Still miss it TBH. Had plans for more mods but.

bikeforsoc.jpg

See looks near stock, NOT!

c5dcf3c9-2625-4bee-9fd9-2a63c6f66e53_zps

Stopping was an issue till I fitted these :D.

Looking at them chicken strips I was not wasting much of the tyres either. Well matched front and rear.

Edited by Cynic

So is the GSXf 600 heads a direct bolt on job then? sorry if its a dumb question but thought before a sneakly buy a set with out the missus knowing i don't want the pissing about of trying to make it fit etc etc.

Yep, hell you can fit a 750 head to a 1200, mine was a 96, you would be amazed at what people do with suzi oil pumpers. Customiser/tuners dream. Just not very subtle. You will never think 'its just like a Honda'. You know what it is when you hit the button.

I would check, I seem to remember the valve gear would swap, with the appropriate cams of course. GSXf has extra lobes.

I'm out of date now, I bet prices and such are far lower now, have you been on the bandit forums, see what there at.

No I've not been on the Bandit forums, im a little too loyal and only really stick to the YOC ha-ha i signed up to the SOHC750 Forum for the Honda but think i only have about 10 posts on there as i just prefer it on here :wub:

After some digging and looking on the Bay of E im going to pass on the head conversion..................for now and just get the old girl back on the road. Might be fitting a different seat unit on her tho just to make her a bit more evil looking.

• Like 2

That paint bug again. 

I could buy another. I wouldnt be able to leave well alone though. With the price of parts it would rapidly become 900cc. Or a 12 with gsxr heads. 

I would still look as stock as possible. 

I would lose my life and or my licence in the process though. That TDR has saved me from a pine box.

• Like 1

Well that was silly, word of wisdom....never put wheel bearings in when drunk as your just be buying a new set. Twat haha.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Making very slow progress with this one, didn't realize how flipping hard it is to put together a bike thats just in boxes!

Pick up an item and your then thinking "what is it, what does it do, is it needed, do i need it to finish what im doing, is it going in the bin, etc etc"

So far all i have managed to do is paint the frame and swing arm and marry them together and fit all the new wheel, head stock and swing arm bearings.

Think im gunna have to wait for a nice day and lay everything out in the garden and see whats what.

• Like 1

That's the best way Noise, I laid everything down on sheets roughly where I thought it should go, took me hours to figure out. Plus you get to see what you don't have, that can be a shock !!

Edited by slice
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Good news! bought myself an early present last night consisting of a full gasket set for the bandit, so with a bit of luck i will have the motor all built over the Christmas period and the frame is already to recieve it too. only thing is that i've kinda fallen in love with a streetfighter seat unit so she might not be on the road quite when i was hoping

Also i have my mates 1984 XJ900 back in the shed for a full engine rebuild due to a leaky bottom gasket, so its two on the go at the same time, hopefully the bandit wont get a set of XJ cams haha

• 1 month later...

Hey folk sorry its been some time since i wrote on this work has been manic!

So, the motor is all done and finished and in the frame now (pics will follow tonight) and the frame is nice and black now. still got a fair few bits to sort out before she starts up which are:

fit sump, oil cooler and lines.

Fit new streetfighter seat unit, LED strip lights (brake and indies) Cafe racer exhaust, SS brake lines, all new cables, renthal bars, mini speedo, wiring loom, re paint fuel tank and other parts, fit carbs and pod filters, new crank breather lines and filter and new handle bar levers, new chain and sprockets, refurb calipers. (think thats it)

Will keep you all posted once all the parts start hitting the doors step.

• Like 1