Polishing scratches

Katie1
This post is 3119 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got some fairly hefty scratches on the tank of the XJ6 (tank bag related). As it's a metallic blue (2009/10 bike), I'm a bit reluctant to use T-cut. Does anyone have any recommendations for polish that will sit over the scratches, rather than taking the paint back?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If they are deep then there's not much I can think of that will get them out, you could use a touchup pen that will mask it but of course it won't remove it, what ever you do your going to have to cut them back to a good paint surface, there's nothing out there that can make scratches disappear I'm afraid. Some polishes say they can colour match your paint and blend the scratch back to a close match but to be honest they are not that good and they need doing on a regular basis as it washes out over time. Someone else may know of a new product that works but to be honest the only way to get a deep scratch out is to cut it back and respray the area. If your bike has a lacquer coat then you could try taking that off and respraying the lacquer coat, tried that before, really difficult to get a match that don't show through tho. Sorry Katie best I can think of.

Hmmm. Are you sure the answer isn't "Get rid of scratches" TM  25ml bottle available from the nearest shop to me from £1.99?

That would make life sooo much nicer!

• Like 1

Clear nail varnish.

I'm surprised you hadn't thought about that Katie.

Clear nail varnish.

I'm surprised you hadn't thought about that Katie.

If it comes to nail varnish, I'm pretty sure I've got a direct colour match somewhere :) Just thought I'd have a go at doing things properly for a change :o

Might pick up a T-Cut Magic Pen and see what kind of a mess I can make with that...

• Like 1

Just be careful Katie, a little bit at a time, don't go mad, if you think that's enough STOP don't be tempted to "oh a bit more won't hurt" cos it will.

Just be careful Katie, a little bit at a time, don't go mad, if you think that's enough STOP don't be tempted to "oh a bit more won't hurt" cos it will.

Not a problem, just did it (3 times) and ran away. It is now either:

a) Perfect

b.) Nearly perfect

c) A good cup holder

It's in the dark part of the garage (in fact, that's the light I used to paint it in) so won't know for a while... ;)

Might be a bit late, but in Halfrauds they sell a cutting compound (a mild one) called G3 and its shit hot and polishing at removing the fat girls ass syndrome out of newly painted clear coat.

If the touch up pen is visible try rubbing some of this all over the tank to blend it in, you dont need to rub it like you want to see the metal work underneath but not so soft that your trying to stroke it to sleep. Gentle but firm (thats the way we like it ^_^)

Edited by Noise
  • Like 1

Noise were still talking polishing here are we? :lol:

• Like 2

Well, you know some times you need to go a little foamy to get the idea across ha ha

• Like 2

Well Noise, coming across a little Foamy seemed to do the trick nicely :)

Actually, the Magic pen worked fine but couldn't resist that line...  ;)

• Like 1

Yeah he is soooo going to rub our noses in it, can someone lock this to stop him boasting? :eusa_shhh: