DT125 lights and electrics

LeeYorks
This post is 3125 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all

i have a dt125r which is giving me grief.... :( lights have died. I have electrics, indicators work, brake lights but no main lights or instruments. I know they work off another circuit and indicators work off battery before anyone shouts...

however, I have disconnected battery and fired up with kick start, indicators still work  still no lights. I therefore assume that charging circuit is working or I wouldn't have indicators or brake lights. I've tried chasing the cables but it's a night mare.....

... Any suggestions from anyone as to where to look next please

thanks in advance 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check your rectifier and ilight sw.

Thanks Cynic... I had thought rectifier possibly but don't know how to check. Can't be light switch as putting a live feed off battery then gets lights working again.

whats confusing me is that with no battery connected I still have indicators and brake lights when engine is running but no lights

will happily bow to your wisdom and advise but didn't want to just keep throwing money at it by changing parts randomly. Is it possible to check a rectifier?

thanks again

much rather work on my Africa Twin.... Seems far more logical :)

Strange statement re the AT. Compare the wiring and it will be very similar.

If you can power the switch up and get lights i would think there is a specific failure somewhere between the lighting coil in the mag and the switch.

That should be easy to test with just a bulb.

Thanks again guys, will look at when I get home. Can you please clarify cynic, you said lighting coil in mag... Is this something separate in engine??sorry for asking, I hate electric problems!

i took a lead straight of battery and powered lighting circuit at which point the switch was turning it on and off etc so had assumed switch ok. Got to be somewhere in cables or electrics from when it generates it to switch although I don't understand how indicators can get to work with no battery unless there is a separate circuit just for generating power to lights??

i could try bypassing issue and feeding off live feed from ignition but I hate doing that as there is obviously an issue somewhere!

The bike never came with a battery Airhead.... Everything worked fine once running. when I put battery in that minor electrics such as indicators work off that when not running but lights on separate circuit it seems which is why I think rectifier is doing its job.... 

Getting slowly confused!!

I think there may be a wiring issue, I don't think the rectifier is dead.

The charging will go via the rectifier and this will power the dc stuff like the indicators. The lighting feed bypasses the rectifier and goes to the lighting switch, sometimes via the ig switch.

I think its a white wire from the rectifier to the light switch that your looking for.

Yeah, That is what my TDR does, still means the rectifier is ok and the wiring to the sw is suspect. For me it keeps coming to the same thing. A wiring problem in the lighting switch feed.

Update!!!!

think I have eventually tracked down 2 dodgey cables from magneto that were badly spliced. 

However..... :( whilst testing I was running the bike on battery and accidentally unplugged the battery causing engine to stop straight away! Now the bike won't start at all, when you turn key ignition lights come on but you can't hear the power valve servo start so I'm guessing there is no power going to that or the ignition coil ( hence no spark) 

could I have blown the rectifier or may I have buggered the main cdi unit :( 

back to you Cynic, you were right on the original diagnosis I think but can't confirm until I get bike starting again

Ok cycnic... Update number 2

engine won't kick over, I can only find 1 fuse next ti battery and wiring diagram only shows 1.

situation is as follows... Neutral light and oil come on with ignition and one of relays clicks, BUT the power valve makes no noise which it should do when turned on as servo gets power. No spark when kicking over

only ideas I have at moment looking at wiring is cdi unit as all cables lead there or rectifier.

This is my sons bike and I'm on verge of having to tell him it may have to be scrapped for parts if I can't get it running again. I've checked cables as much as I can. Reluctant to spend more money on it or wife will go mad if it doesn't fix it....

Last plea for help.... Could rectifier be blown?.... Had no hair to start with but def none left now, son gutted as he was hoping to take bike up north next week for a trip :(

Thanks for your support so far guys

Lee

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online