Help with 1971 Yamaha Ht1-b

Littlepurpleyamaha
This post is 3147 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently purchased a 1971 90cc HT1-b enduro. It's pretty complete exept for several little parts such as the ignition, tail light, clutch foot rest. Parts are available but not so abundant. I do need a new seat and seat pan- it's all rotted out. Any advice as to where this would be available? I have not seen any on eBay. Would there be any other models that would fit this bike? Are there any parts from other models that would fit this bike? I'm a beginner and just trying to learn- (pretty unusual for a girl in her 20s, but I'm interested.) Also I'm having trouble finding an air filter. I read on another post that orange sponge works? If so, how? I'm also looking for parts! 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, Welcome to the YOC, it's usual to say hello in the new members section, just a bit about yourself and it gets you into peoples heads as some one who will stick around. Glad your interested in bikes, we have quite a few ladies who join in on a regular basis and they will be pleased to see another girl onboard. Don't use foam rubber or anything else as an air filter use the proper filter it might cost more but your bike will love you for it, just bunging stuff in and hoping it works rarely does, if you have a local bike shop near you then pop in and ask who they send their seats to for refitting or rebuilding, they usually are only to pleased to help out as you might come back with more custom if they are polite. As for the other parts you need well quite a lot of the folks on here are Brits and we have quite a few from Canada some are from the USofA so if you wait around long enough one of them might be able to point you in the direction of a good parts supplier. Hope some of that helps and glad you thought to join in. :D

Edited by slice

Thankyou for the input! I'm still trying to figure out how the site works- a little confusing on the mobile version. I'll definitely look into it. I've looked everywhere for air filters and no one seems to have it. I was just wondering if there are any other filters from biked that fit right in there? Also are rear passenger foot pegs the same as the drivers foot rest? I'm just itching to ride it and I'm looking for a temporary fix! 

I have a 1975 DT250B Enduro and when I got it there was no foam left on the air filter cage.  It was quite easy to find a K&N replacement.  It doesn't use the foam cage, it replaces it.  Have to grease both ends to form a seal between the rubber ends and the filter box but works wonderfully.  I think it was around $45.  Yambits in England has a lot of hard to find stuff, if you don't have luck more locally.

I also got a new seat cover from someplace up in Canada (via eBay).  I can dig later and find out who it was but if you search you can find them - they manufacture the things.  It wasn't new old stock but looks it, right down to the YAMAHA white lettering on the back.  They might be able to point you in a good direction for a seat pan/foam etc.

Jeff

Edited by threeputt
forgot to add the bit about the seat

I've also had great luck with the guys at http://www.nwvcp.com/. If you find something on the schematic that's not available, I'd email them. The guy knew a 69 (IIRC) headlight assembly would  fit my 72 and he might know of an air filter for yours. Might be worth a shot. :) I know a guy who does upholstery and he hooked me up with new seat padding and leather cover for my 76. Can't help on the seat pan except to say maybe start a project thread and show us how bad it is... maybe a fiberglass repair would work?

blackhat250- I tied to make an account to post on that forum but it would not let me? Maybe I will try again off my phone.

sacha- I actually just ripped off the cover and foam from my seat (wow that was a mess!) it just crumbles and powdered off. I was thinking of just patching up and reprinting the seat pan too. Maybe clean off some rust and bondo/ Fiberglass the rust holes. I would need a foam seat tho. I was thinking I could cut it myself but that's a little intimidating. I have seen some seat covers on eBay for about $40 shipped. I just need to figure out my air filter situation! 

Thanks for for the help! 

You should be able to get someone to cut some foam to make a seat.

My YA-6 project came from Milwaukee.

ya64.jpg

ya67.jpg

Edited by DirtyDT

My 1976  DT 175 has an air filter with a ‘prism’ shaped plastic frame and the actual filter membrane is a sponge material shaped sock that fits over it, the filter sponge had rotted away, I purchased a square sheet of filter sponge from my local auto spares shop and made my own filter membrane sock stitching it together with a needle and thread, it has performed without fault, if your bike has a frame support for the filter membrane would it be possible to do the same? It was supposed to be a temporary fix but has lasted over 3 years so far. as to parts from other yamahas fitting your bike, search for a  US site called partzilla on google, you will be able to locate part numbers for most yamaha parts, when you have found the part number it also lists other yamaha models that the parts should fit. I had a quick look for your seat but it only listed a few models that share a similar seat

• Like 1

Oh well done you, always get a thrill when an old bike pops and farts back into life. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online