Rebuild or w/o Crashed 950 Tourer

xv535
This post is 3130 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All.  Its been 3 years or so since I last posted on this site.  In June I rear ended a van which spiked the brakes because a woman with 2 kids decided to cross the highway.   Lucky for me the bike fishtailed and went under the back bumper at approx. a 30 degree angle.   The front and back tires hit the vans back tires.  The trailer hitch sheared off the left foot rest and somehow didn't take my left foot off.  Luckily I only suffered a badly twisted back and walked away.  The bike was not so lucky.  The way the bike came down on the pavement it suffered absolutely no damage to the tank, fenders, saddle bags, forks etc.  The collision did however bend the frame.  To look at the bike when it is sitting on its stand it is hard to tell that it has been in an accident other than the fact that the left foot rest is sheared off and the shifter is bent as is the shift rod.  The bike has 15,000 k's on it.  The local Yamaha dealer has quoted $6,242 to repair it with the most expensive part being a new frame costing $2364 (includes tax).  Is it worth while repairing this bike or should I buy a new one for $12,400 (tax in)?  Because the shift rod was bent what are the chances that there is significant engine damage.  Note that the engine quit on impact.

This is a list of the parts needed per the Yamaha dealer:

• Frame
  • Down Tube Comp
  • Shift Pedal Assy
  • Shift Rod
  • bracket for left foot rest
  • Flange bolt, crown bolt, shop supplies etc
  • Front left foot rest
  • Front right foot rest
  • Right mirror assembly
  • Cover where shift rod enters engine
  • Damper 1 (?)
  • Axle front wheel

Thanks for your comments.

Rocky

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome back, just one thing for me to say really "bin it" buy a new one, that way your back on the road and don't have to wait around for months while it gets fixed then spend months going back and forth trying to get the bastard thing to run properly, cos with the best will in the world if the engine does seem ok but then gets a fault is it the accident or just wear and tear, don't even think about repairing it. Just sayin.

Not being in the position of being able to throw thousands at a new bike i would be looking at buying a donor and making a good one from the pair.

Maybe customise a little too. Will certainly cost less if you know how to work a spanner.

• Like 1

Sorry as above meant replace it not buy new!

Hey Guys. Thanks for the comments. That is exactly the conclusion that I came to last night. I was worried that there could be undetected engine damage or some other problem that will affect the bikes handling. I have tracked down two bikes with less than 13,000 km on them for less than the cost of repairing my bike and I am meeting with the vendors on Wed. Thanks again. Ride safe. Rocky Ps. Cynic, on this side of the pond spanner = monkey wrench. Cheers.

• Like 2

:D

So you wont be having a long pull on a fag afterwards then...

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online