RD350 Rev counter sorted

mcferreira100
This post is 3021 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got the clock open using special tool to carefully peel open the crimp face. Once opened we could see the loose bracket the cable screws onto is a press fit into rest of the mechanism. Pressed it carefully back in using a vice and re assembled. Working better now..powerband kicks in at 5500..sorry didn't take pics.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

WHAT!!! No thanks keep those pictures to yourself thank you. :lol:

LOL..you need to be more descriptive Kev..might get something u don't want to see. Tool wasn't mine but will see bout a pic.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bad luck..bracket came loose again (should have epoxy glued it back in place). This time needle went so crazy it broke. Now its unwound the spring behind it. I`ve glued the needle back together after putting a little torsion against the spring but now not working at all. I`m told if that spring unwinds itself then unit cannot be fixed....damn.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting pretty tired of trying to find a rev counter so stuck a DT175 one on there for time being. Sits like crap in there and no temp gauge so no long trips, but can at least use the bike. At last I can see what actual revs are doing and great to see needle flying to 9000rpm..other gauge didn`t go past 7000.

Hi Mac, been a while, yeah that looks pretty horrid mate but still if it works and don't set the bike on fire. 9K, bet your neighbours just LOVE you. :lol:

Got the clock open using special tool to carefully peel open the crimp face. Once opened we could see the loose bracket the cable screws onto is a press fit into rest of the mechanism. Pressed it carefully back in using a vice and re assembled. Working better now..powerband kicks in at 5500..sorry didn't take pics.

Hi.

Just seen your post. I'm a new member, living in Yorkshire but have a house in Hout Bay and an Africa Twin there. Always stuck for someone to ride out with. Where in Cape Town do you live ?

Regards,

Tim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Durbanville..always keen to join someone for a ride. I often meet guys in Tokai area and ride over to Hout Bay for coffee.

Will the dt mechanism not swap across?

It might Cynic, although angle at the back is more slanted on the RD. You might get it going but will work properly??..these are carefully calibrated instruments. Maybe someone that knows what they doing with these mechanisms could do it..but I can`t find anyone here who will work on old clocks. Friend of mine tried to sort it using a Honda rev counter internals, and now its in a million bits. Got a quote off a website from someone in the UK who specializes in restoring them..quoted me 250GBP..ouch.

What about this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-RD-350-ypvs-31k-rev-counter-/271947338740

I don't mind getting it and forwarding it on if they wont post, so long as you pay me back of course :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Cynic..haven't been on for awhile. Thanks..this would probably work, but found a complete unit on ebay..its on the way, should be here early in new year. Cost me a pretty penny.