OH bugger !

slice
This post is 3127 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got a bloody great screw in my back tyre :angry:, goes right through the tread not the side wall. Have any of you used one of these tubeless tyre repair kits at all? I have one on order but not sure if they are a temporary fix only or a permanent fix, do any of you know which it is? Looked at the "Mushroom" type but the write ups are a bit on these are not to good so bought a push through string thingy, do these work on=k and again are they just a temp fix or do I have to fork out £150 plus for a new bloody tyre?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know Z rated tyres cannot be repaired, not sure on V rated. I know its possible have repaired tyres but I'm not keen on it myself. Although my bikes run tubes so its only a tenner for me.

I would prob repair a rear tyre. Can't say I would even consider repairing a front. The tyre does have to come off to be done properly. I have only seen truck tyres done with the mushrooms and they take the tyre off to do it as the plug is pulled through from the inside.

• Like 1

BSAU 159f is the requisite standard. V rated tyres are allowed a repair no bigger than 3mm, which must be within 25% of the centre line of the tyre. All repairs to be accomplished with a mushroom plug, inserted from the inside and vulcanised into place. Anything else is a temporary fix. I feel your pain, I've picked up three bolts through various car tyres in the last 12 months.

• Like 1

when I was in london to meet samael for his comparison video, I got a screw in rear tire, I fix it with repair kit, I come back home with 80-90 m/h. my wife got a screw on her car, I fix it with the same repair kit, now she have 5000 miles with this tyre repaired with this repair kit. when she was on a service to repair another tyre, she ask the mechanic to remove and properly fix where I repair and he say there is no reason to remove it and fix it properly because the old fix is strong and good enough... that was after 3500 miles.

the repair kit  look like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-ATV-QUAD-CAR-BICYCLE-PUNCTURE-TYRE-REPAIR-KIT-TUBELESS-/231196949129?hash=item35d4697a89

• Like 1

Ive done a few on my cars/trucks with the stringy insert stuff and they all last until the tyre was replaced because of wear.

wether i would do the same for my bike, probably not... tyres arent THAT expensive, i've even got a couple of sets of part worns at the workshop in Marlborough you just need something to get you by (im never likely to use them)

• Like 1

Well thank you all for your insights, I had best get a new tyre then as it's Z rated, I will use the repair kit to make it safe then it's down to the tyre shop and open my wallet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have got to be honest slicey boy but two things I won't mess about with myself is tyres and brakes.

• Like 1

Your right Mike, was just interested in the temp get you home type of plug that is used by some people, got it fixed now, local shop did a inside out plug repair so no worries.

I have pondered about the "get me home" fixes.

I have thought about the gooey inject into the tyre valve stuff that seals the tyre but the tyre fitters don't like. But do you know what? After so many push the bike home from work times on my old small tubed bikes when all you had to do is run over a nail or screw. After getting a tubeless bigger bike for the last twelve years I've never had a puncture so I do think that the tubeless are more robust than the tubed ones. Maybe I'm tempting fate but I do have more confidence in the thicker tubeless tyres when doing **mph on the motorway.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online