Identifying DT250 MX

Ravies
This post is 2775 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

New to the forum. Just bought a DT250 MX for £300 - it's in a bit of a state but that's okay (that was the plan). Wasn't used on the road for many years and so has no reg plates (among other things). I'm trying to find the VIN so I can send off for the log book.

WHERE IS THE VIN?!

I've located a number of some description on the headstock and on the engine (they match) that goes like *1R7-132216* but I've come to understand that this isn't what I'm looking for. Could anyone tell me what that number is and more importantly, where are the numbers I'm looking for? You'd think this would be a simple operation but it's been made slightly more difficult by the previous owner having repainted the frame "when he was younger". So anywhere I do look will involve some time removing paint.

Best.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's the number, don't know what it means myself but there are several hardcore DT250 nuts here who will tell you which it is from just a picture, hint....

Thanks very much for getting back to me guys.

Blackhat, you say 250 F but it has got the under-seat mono-shock and from what I can gather so far that's what got added when they made the MX? MX meaning MonoCross? Or am I just making this up? I tried to upload a picture but it's telling me I can only upload a certain file size, larger than that of the file I'm trying to upload :wacko:

But trivia aside - you say these are the numbers I'm looking for? Am I also right in saying that normally engine and frame numbers aren't the same but Yamaha engine and frame numbers usually are?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Found this, its A dt250mx,  [ yeh the mx =mono shock,] introduced in 1977. DT250D,B)   1R7  is euro/uk models 1M1 is USA,  , 

1R6 -  DT400.  uk/euro.   1M2  usa,DT400 ...   pull the flywheel of to see the coils,  if your is a late model it will be CDI = 3 Coils

• 7 months later...

Literally just seen this post Blackhat (slow on the uptake or what). Cheers for finding that mate. So my bike is a 1R7 and has 3 coils which makes it a DT250D you say?

I'm just trying to establish this once and for all now because I'm needing to torque up the magneto nut and the difference between the F and the D is about 20NM. Not to mention it always helps to know what bike you're working on ;).

• Like 1