My dtr 125 project

Chalkey46
This post is 3050 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks few more bits on there way in the post and a few more bits here ready to fit Inc a custom made stainless exhaust and a 170 kit plus alloy manifold and a 32mm carb then I just need to set it up and jet it right FB_IMG_1445814087636_zpsqz0whaox.jpg20151028_182459_zpswx10jhto.jpg

• Like 1

This is on yz sprockets so still getting the setup right but is still lively as a 125 14t-50t with the 170 kit on it I'm hopeing it's going to be a lot more fun this kits also had the port timing corrected as the come slightly off straight from the manafacture 

Oh and this is a direct fit to the 125 cases 

The stock porting on the Athena kit is very tame but I think they did that for a reason so you have plenty of options to tune as you like for your needs. Quality wise I can't fault my.  After some light porting work and only twenty or so miles of run it. Bike was ridden hard up an down the land. Never missed a beat. Gear box gave out first.  

Your going this far with it and it is great to see. So much better than the " wans mke my dt gu faster" type threads.

I would consider rebuilding the gearbox. New bearings (good quality ones) with maybe an undercut on the gears. Then use a good quality fully synth gearbox oil from the go. 

With that 170 plus the pipe, carb, etc your going to be pushing 30 hp likely more at peak. That will be way past a stock dt gearbox.

Every thing in my spare engine has just been done with genuine yammy seals and gaskets and wosner conrod kit and uprated mains and all new bearings though out I love playing with these little bikes More than the big bikes not so many complications haha 

It was all about handling first then the head and barrel came up at a bargain price so couldn't resist 

Thought I better put a pic up of it from when I first bought it genuine 9k miles received_10207403044377120_zpsplgglvsc.j

Superb build Chalky "  love the wheels,:thumb:  if it as fast as Cardboad daves 170. it will be awesome,  I recon his was RD400  territory.  95mph top speed too,  B)

I'm not to worried about top speed I'm looking for acceleration more than anything but a 95mph top speed is good it's current setup will do roughly 75-80 just want it ti get there quicker :D

Quick video of first start earlier 20151116_100648_zps9qsflm9n.mp4.htmlhttp://s572.photobucket.com/user/r1cky_01/media/Mobile Uploads/20151116_100648_zps9qsflm9n.mp4.html 

But the first run on the road didn't go as planned low revs up to 1 / 2 throttle it's brilliant but after that it's a spluttery mess so now it's time to get the jetting / needle ect set right 

Hey chalkey if you still have a copy of wiring diagram for a 2003 DT 125 R, I really need a copy as have a electrical fault and need to sought out, your bike is looking good for sure.Thanks

PS i've given up on faster at moment, would just like the bloody thing running lol.

Had a nice ride out yesterday evening to try and sort out some of the bugs and got the bike plastered at the same time 

FB_IMG_1447962090072_zpsmtnaopto.jpg20151118_162852_zps2llmgs8f.jpg

And I can confirm that I cant wait for it to be fully ran in as it's amazing as it is now loving the low down tourqe  :-)

Where did your inspiration come from..... 

Love the exhaust. Its just so wrong its perfect.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online