xj600 running on 2 cylinders

laidbackjay
This post is 3165 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1995 XJ600S, it runs on the 2 centre cylinders but not the outers. I have swopped the coils around but she won't start. Which makes me think i need to replace one of the coils. Although this won't fixvthe problem as the 2 outers should have fired when i swopped the coils? Would the pick up coil affect only one of the coils? I get the feeling that my problem is a very easy fix. Any help will be greatly appreciated 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes think that's were your problem lies, the pickup coils I had the same on my twin and was only firing on one cylinder luckerly I had a spare motor and swapped them over.

Thanks for answering so quickly. I will have a go at swopping the pick up coil from my donor xj. So am I correct in saying that the pick up coil operates the coils individually?

it depends on which year is your xj, the '91 has one pickup coil, earlier ones had 2.

these have one pickup coil.

its a wasted spark system so 1 and 4 cyl sparks and so does 2 and 3 so I'd look at the coil. First look to see if 12v is reaching the coils with the ignition on.

The TCI earths to ground to complete the circuit, also check the HT caps as they fail too.

I assume you've swapped the plugs in case they are faulty?

I have checked the voltage to the coios with ignitiin on. They both read 18v yes eighteen.

Yes i have swapped the plugs and plugs are fine.

I swapped coils over and still 2 and 3 fired nothining on 1 and 4.

Thanks for your help so far. More would be very much welcomed

I have just been out to try swapping the wires around on the coils. I have managed to move the the sparking from 2 and 3 to 1 and 4. 

I have a 2nd hand ecu/cdi box on order. Is this the same as TCI?

Thanks

Jason

I have just been out to try swapping the wires around on the coils. I have managed to move the the sparking from 2 and 3 to 1 and 4. 

I have a 2nd hand ecu/cdi box on order. Is this the same as TCI?

Thanks

Jason

yep, CDI went out early 70's

could be either the ignition caps or leads if you can get 1 and 4 to work

Drewpy thanks for all your help. New TCI arrived today and BOOM I have 4 cylinders again. You legend :D

nice one :thumb:

just one more thought. the cause of the TCI going could be a faulty reg/rec check the charging on the battery with the engine running,it should be no more than 14.5 volts @ 3k revs could be why you had 18v to  the coils

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online