YBR125 Loss of power and clicking (Solved)

Tpex Rath
This post is 3171 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all again,

Why do I always get the weird problems? my YBR125 ('09 Carbureted) has developed this clicking sound and slight loss of power (misfiring?) while driving, and only when hitting revs around 6k-7k, in any gear, the rev-meter also goes haywire above those revs (red lining on the meter, but engine sound doesn't match)

Now I tried to replicate this while on the stand, back wheel free and bike in gear (tried all gears), it doesn't happen, only when the bike is physically moving and I'm hitting around 6k-7k revs.

chain looks fine, I have done cursory inspection.

Edited by Tpex Rath
Solved

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not that it would give me any clues, but have you replicated putting it under load by using the rear brake? Might help someone else on here!

Am thinkin the coil is shorting,[ cracked ]    clicking  would be it arc ing ,  explains the misfire, :eusa_think:

• Like 1

Is your choke sticking ?  Just a guess .

Doubt it, hardly use it down here, but I'll see what using it does.

Not that it would give me any clues, but have you replicated putting it under load by using the rear brake? Might help someone else on here!

that sounds like a plan!

Check your battery connections are clean and tight, check the electrolyte level in the battery if it's a type you can

Will do!

Am thinkin the coil is shorting,[ cracked ]    clicking  would be it arc ing ,  explains the misfire, :eusa_think:

Road it to work shortly after my first post, no problems, but now on the way back it started again, I did think they sounded electrical.

So I took the ignition coil off and tried to test it according to this but couldn't get any usable readings, but I did sand down the connectors as they where quite rusted, maybe they where not making contact so it was arcing?
Anyway also cleaned the spark plug for good measure. Too her for a ride and the problem was gone! :D

• Like 2