1986 Yamaha DT50 MX

Gpreston43
This post is 3149 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have bought a Yamaha DT50 MX but it needs a new barrel and piston, the bike in in great condition otherwise, completely original so I have decided it is worth doing, the problem is that the engine is from a Yamaha RX50, and as im sure you know are rare, so you cant get parts for them and you cant get the engines, does anyone on here have any suggestions as to what I could do and what my options are getting this bike back on the road? I am new to this so I don't know what options I have, I have considered a replacement engine but not sure what fits the frame, or any barrels and pistons that would fit the RX50 engine? either 50 or 80 cc. Thanks in advance and any advice would be appreciated, George

(photo of the bike attached)

yam dt50.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You'd be better off going for either a DT50, TY50, RD50 engine as they are the same cases.

Alternatively, go for a DT80, TY80 or RD80 engine for more punch.

I have spare big bore kit for a DT50 (think it takes it up to 65cc) in my wardrobe left over from when I rebuilt my '88 MX. Are you sure it's an RX50 engine if you can send over the digits from the engine number it would help narrow down the field, the RX and RD had much straighter head fins, yours appears to have a DT or TY head (and the curved kickstart) atleast.. Although it could be a hybrid of the two.

Edited by wild foamy

Hi George, as above, listen to Foamy he is all things DT50 tho I would wash the barrel if you buy it it's not in his bedroom wardrobe to keep it warm :lol::wank4az:

Didn't know steve loved his DT's THAT much.

No worse than a sock I suppose.

• Like 1

If steve had one of those I think the dna content would make it officially a living organism......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

He's found his own sock then?

• Like 1