Dtr 125 Ignition Issue

Matty79
This post is 3215 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Doing some work on a newly purchsed 2002 dtr 125 in preperation for an MOT. After a few simple fixes, I have found a stumbling block. The bike starts and runs sweetly, but I can't cut the engine with the key, I fitted an aftermarket kill switch, which does work. After a tinker, I can now switch the engine off owith the key, but its in the "on" position, will run fine in "off" position. 

Any ideas?????

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Going to hazard a guess at either a collapsed ignition barrel, or wire somewhere behind the barrel leading to the main harness that is keeping a live feed going. 

All you can do is break out the ole "2 wires taped to a bulb" and test the wiring from the back of the ignition working your way back through the harness. 

If you disconnect your aftermarket kill switch, then check for live feeds while the key is in the "off" position. 

Not a quick fix, and a time consuming job. 

If you haven't got the haynes manual for your bike, you can find a good list of Diagram images here: 

Edit DDT: Please do not post links to places on the interweb that break copyright laws LINKY

Edited by DirtyDT
Links to copyright material.

As i said, the best tester is just a normal tail light bulb, with wires taped to the terminals. 

If it lights up, there is a live feed :) 

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online