My first big bike Yamaha virago / Honda cbr1000 streetfighter

ojmiddleton
This post is 3199 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys

Im currently riding an SR125. Great bike but really feeling the need for something bigger and two opportunities have just landed in my lap

I have two mates selling a bike each.

One is a virago 535 for £800 in good condition

The other is a 1990 Honda CBR1000 Streetfighter custom build in great condition for the same price (tho i havent seen it yet, seeing it on wednesday) This friend has been building bikes for decades and his work is great

I have been riding since October last year and passed my full test in april of this year.

I have been looking at cruisers for a long time and the virago seemed like a logical next step enjine size wise but to be honest i dont think they look very asthetically pleasing.

I have been seeing some streetfighter style bikes out on the road and think they look ace.

In this situation I am drawn to the Honda because ive never really liked the viragos. I know this is a Yamaha forum but im hoping for some inpartial advice here :-)

Id be keen to hear some thoughts from some more experienced guys than myself

Am i gonna kill myself on a 1000?! No reason to think i would, I feel very comfortable on bikes but its just a giant leap engine size wise, after all i only did 3 days training on a 650 for my test.

If i did buy the Honda i would go back to my riding school for a days training on my new bike too

Is a custom build a bad idea?

Is a 1990 cbr1000 gonna still be rocksolid?

My SR125 is an '89 and ive had no problems what so ever so no reason to doubt the age.

What thoughts spring to your mind?

Thankyou

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A1990 CBR1000, from a 125, are you mad.

Massive difference in weight, massive difference in power, similar braking ability. Very dropsy as far as handling goes, not the easy riding stuff of today you have to bully the 90's bikes around.

And streetfightered, time bomb. Streetfighters come about because the owner has thrown it down the road and fixed it cheap. An old streetfighter unless it has been a deliberate build I wouldn't touch with yours.

It may be harsh but you wanted views, the virago will do you nothing but good.

• Like 1

Follow your heart O/J, as you"l always lust after the cbr if you buy the virago, Its only £800 , if you don't like it ebay it. Hondas are reliable. too

My advice is dont be hasty

Get yourself into as many bike showrooms as you can, sit on loads of different bikes, of all types sportys/cruisers.

Get to know how much itll cost for insurance for the different types

When you think you know what type you want, ask for test rides

Dont buy the first one you see cos its from a mate

When you think youre there, then ask again on here

A1990 CBR1000, from a 125, are you mad.

Cinic, oddly enough I was wondering if i would hear something like this! Thats kinda why i made the conversation thread.

It is a deliberate rebuild to streetfighter.

I will be testriding them both for sure, i have a feeling when i sit on the honda my senses will tell me its too big too fast.

And makes sense about older bikes and bullying them around

Maybe they both arent right just yet too.

Keep the thoughts coming everyone. harsh as you like i appreciate you taking the time to share your wisdom!!

in your boots id buy the honda. it will run for ever with oil changes and for sure your wont get bored of it every time you open the taps lol

I'm with Cynic on this. Not to criticise your riding but if I understood your post fully you have maybe 15 hours max on a 650 a couple of months ago chances are it was a nice docile handling beast ideally suited for DAS. A litre bike won't give you any leeway IF things start to go wrong. I frightened myself enough on my FZS600 when my zeal exceeded my experience in the first few months after doing my DAS. But then again what do I know ? I rather like the looks of the Virago. As others have said try to get a feel for a range of bikes and decide what you want it to do, that was part of the fun for me after passing. Persuading dealers to offer a test ride when the ink was still wet on the licence was slightly less fun. After an SR125 I think you'll find more or less anything will feel exhilarating for a good while. Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up riding

I know some on here don't like virago's but I rode one for several years and found it to be an easy bike to ride and a lot of fun. A good step up from your bike before going onto something bigger

Thanks for your advice guys

I spent a day riding riding around some bike shops, sat on loads and it definitely gave me a better idea of what I want from a bike, how I want to sit, how comfy i feel on what styles etc. My SR is sooo comfy!!!

So with that all in mind I went to see the Honda yesterday, had a little tootle around the block. It felt comfyish, i was leaning forward a bit too far cos the bars were quite low, but could get some risers and potentially some higher bars.

The guy is gonna respray it and tidy it up cosmetically anyway, and there was some play in the headset which he is gonna look into. Im abroad with work for a couple of weeks so while im away he will get it ready and ill take it for a proper (insured) test ride when im back. I liked it, but couldnt tell from just 20mph round the block.

it looks cool, and felt ok. Will know more once ive taken it for a proper spin

meanwhile im still looking around on autotrader etc

The Virago, by the way, needs a new engine! So thats out the equasion

Just be careful. Streetfighters never work as well as the original motorcycle. They are built for cosmetic reasons.

Riding position. Suspension  etc are done for looks. I still feel its a bad move,  the insurace headache and mot hassles. For an experienced rider its a bit of rebellion. You wont know good from bad. 

The headstock wobble, could be bearings, wheel balance, brake warp, bad tyre, unseen damage. Wobbles can hit suddenly too. Ever had a proper tank slapper or know how to stop one?

End of the day its your cash and im called cynic for a reason. Just be careful.

I jump from 125 cc directly to 950 cc... and 280 kg... but is a big difference between a cruiser and a streetfighter. personally I don`t think is a good idea. a cruiser have the center of gravity down, that make you don`t feel the kilos and make it easy to control even at low speed. the acceleration is not so powerful on a cruiser even you have lot of power. but is just up to you, if you feel confident, you can buy any bike you like. 

Im listening Cynic definitely. The main positives are the price, and that im buying from someone I know.

I felt really comfortable on the 650 five minutes after getting on it, if I could find a Kawasaki er6 (or equivelent) for under a grand id be all over it! Im gonna take the Honda out for a day, if I dont feel comfortable by then, then thats my answer. 

How do i join up to the buying selling pages on this forum? I know its a fee and thats ok. If anyone on here has anything going is love to hear about it....

Lallasro - if i could find a cruiser I would much prefer it, but I think at this stage they are out of my price range. 

Here it is before the work anyhow. Needs to be cleaned up and shined, gonna have new speedo and front lamp too

i want to be clear, im aware the 1000cc is a big junp and im not saying I really want a 1000. The fact that it is a 1000 is a tick in the negative box. Ive no desire to be speeding round hertfordshire

but its cheap and could do me for a couple of years while I save for my cruiser. 

But im still looking and not committed to buying this at all

still might tho :-)

image.jpg

To sign up for buying and selling just click the store tab at the top of the page. There should be a few options and being a paid member normally allows to access to other paid member sections. 

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online