Replacing the front brake master cylinder

Grouch
This post is 3228 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I need to replace it on my bike. Got the part luckily 2nd hand off ebay. Brand new they are £240!!! I nearly had a heart attack when they told me. All that cash for a bit of cable, brake lever and a little box for fluid. Anyway I persevered and one came up on ebay for £32. All I need now is some fluid and I'm going to crack on with it. I've got my manual and I'm going to do it all myself. I'm just anxious about bleeding the bugger. It took me 3 days to bleed a rear brake on the XT.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

They do seem to be harder to bleed nowadays grouchie. I brought a pump bleed kit but it was rubbish - wasn't cheap either.

• Like 1

Ok big tip.

Take out the pads. Put something between the pistons so they dont press together, also strong enough for you to lever the pistons back.

Pump the pistons out. NOW dissconect the banjo and swap the connection to the new MC.

Now with the new MC properly connected push back the pistons in the caliper.

Now top up and re fit your pads and your done.

• Like 1

So long as the rest of the system is sound the only air that gets in will be at the connection and in the cyl.

This way you push fluid up that is known to be good. It will also fill and prime the replacement mc.

Good luck.

Well guess what? I've cocked it up. I've fixed the lever etc all properly and even connected the brake light which is good for me. I just need to bleed them now. I'm going to get a bottle and pipe tool thingy. I tried to do it your way Cynic but it didn't work out :(

Never mind. I grew up helping my dad service cars out the front of our house.

Works a treat normally.

Good on you for trying it Grouch...Surely that will give you some confidence..Bleeding the brake is easy, especially if you are using the tube into a half filled bottle/jar. Just dont let the reservoir run dry when you are pumping it

Was just a bit confused about the method. I didn't have a pipe/bottle so I will get one tomorrow and finish the job. It's a bit silly riding around without a front brake.

Yeah I'm definately not going to spill any. I learned that lesson the hardway. I spilled fluid all over a swingarm. Didn't look too good.

Got some pipe and made my own bleeder tool. Did it in about half an hour. I'm feeling all smug and big headed now haha. Next job is changing the chain and sprockets.

• Like 1

Good man. Dont forget to loosen the sprocket nut (s). BEFORE you remove the chain.

Much easier then if they play tight.

Well done Grouch, another 30 years and you will be answering questions on here. :biglaugha:

Haha Slice you'll be surprised at how many questions I answer on here. I regularly get PM's about XT speedo's etc.

• Like 1