Virago 535 running poorly.

Walrus1#
This post is 3230 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys.

Having got the old girl rebuilt with new paintwork She is running terrible there is massive hesitation aon accelerator and a shitload of backfiring at certain revs.

The exhaust is aftermarket so I re jetted and lifted the needles but that made her run very rich so I went back to standard jets and settings but the back firing persists.

Could this possibly be a faulty coil ??? there is a new battery fitted and also new rectifier as well.The petrol pump is fine and the plugs are new. even though I have reverted back to standard jets and dropped the needle setting back to second groove down from top, it still seems as though the mixture is rich?? the setting for the mixture screw I was told is "three turns out from seated" could this be too much ?? She is unable to be revved and accelerated quickly without bogging down and then massive amounts of misfire and backfire. Is Anyone who is XV guru can help me please ignition coils are only thing I can think of but if that is wrong I don't want to keep on buying new parts just to see if it is them,if you get my drift.

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The cheap, obvious and easy things first: is the air filter and the air filter box assembly seated correctly? Check for any air leaks.

By backfiring you mean exhaust popping I take it. Does this happen with the throttle open, or when the throttle is closed?

Air filter seated ok the back fire happens when trying to accelerate quickly I have done all the jetting and needle setting over and checked air filter so only down to electric probs now.I'll have to borrow multi meter and check coils and pick ups CDI unit Probably not cdi though as runs great at tick over and low revs only bother is when trying to accelerate. This is why think it could be bad coils/coil.Thanks for answer it is appreciated.