RD350LC Performance exhausts

mcferreira100
This post is 3244 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Although I`m a stickler for original..couldn`t take it anymore and decided to get the RD going faster (I need this bike to do power wheelies). I`m told jetting does not have to be changed so just gonna bolt them on and see how she goes. These are locally made Bosson exhausts..made just 12km from my house. They reckon 20-30% more power.

2015-05-29%2015.35.56_zpsmrkxpaed.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your going to get from 45hp to 60+ with a set of pipes, er. No.

With the proper tuning they may well be capable of moving enough gas to allow the engine to make 60hp.

Bout 190 pounds. But don`t let all that nice chrome fool you. I've noticed the welding don`t look that good.

Anyway after some struggling as the rear mounts are not slotted like the originals (had to drill holes just to get the bolt to go through). Fitted them today but disappointed as its blowing out one cylinder. I think they putting lotta stress on cylinder bolts due to lack of movement. Although that cylinder does have a suspect stud which unscrewed itself during the rebuild, I just tightened it back in. So back to the drawing board..damn..was hoping to take it for a spin to test the new pipes.

Neglected to mention I put some gun gum on that side gasket as it kept falling out while getting exhaust in place. Maybe that causing issues.

The most important part of a 2t is the exhausts, sealing of said exhausts is just as important. Even small leaks cause problems.

Stay with the std exhausts unless you have some quality pipes to change them for, your LC will love you for it.

Well got them new pipes on after lotta fettling with a stripped head stud and going to smaller bolts to get the rear bolts mounted. Its not as good as I would like (you guys would shout at me if you could see some of the corners I`ve cut to get these pipes on).

But OMG what a difference!!!!. It lifts the front wheel no problem in first now and to put it another perspective..there is a short strip up to my house where if I wind it up on standard pipes I get to 80km/h. It now gets to 100km/h on the same strip(there`s the 20% improvement right there). Still some issues as sidestand catches the pipe..which I was assured it wouldn't. Stripped head stud (bolt would not come off so put another nut on and just tightened it against the offending nut which stopped the blowing out that cylinder)

Just make sure. Then make sure again that your not falling into the trap that killed many 350's.

If you run em lean you get loads more go. Costs you engine life in spades though. Keep a close eye on temperatures and plug condition.

Will do..you are right Cynic..I am running it leaner..2nd clip from top.

pre mix , all the way .. don't trust those so called ultra reliable oil pumps that's why these bikes are thin on the ground.

• Like 1

Up Yours..This is where you guys confuse me..many knowledgeable blokes here insist do NOT use premix??

Me included.

I have been riding 2strokes for (OH SHIT!) nearly 30 years and the pump is generally blamed for failures. When its working fine.

I know of one instance of a pump failing. Considering the hassle of pre mix its a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

Have to agree with Cynic here, the pump gives you the right amount of oil that the engine needs, premix is ok but slow running it's to much and fast running it's to little, you can add more oil to keep it lubed for high speed stuff but your plugs are going to look like you dragged them through a field of dirt after no time and that's going to affect the starting. Stick with the pump is best, after all that's what it's for!

• Like 1

your both WRONG !!!

if you pre mix , you know for a fact that the oil is in there.

as for dirty plugs !!! bollocks I've had the same plugs in for four years now and they have never oiled up,

also my exhaust pipe baffles usually have a light sooty coat never oily,

you who have road with me know only too well how I wring it's neck everywhere I go.

I have owned this bike for seven years and these are my second set of plugs the only engine work that has been done is oil changes once a year.

maybe my bike is set up right for pre mix as it has had the same set of pistons in for at least 19 years so pre mixing can't be doing any harm.

I have the pipe work and oil pump if I wanted to use it but I just don't trust them,

as for messing around at the pumps with mixing I just run the tank into reserve find a petrol station and add a small pop bottle filled with oil (about 350ml) to the tank then fill to the neck with fuel,

I don't shake the tank as the swishing fuel mixes it and the speed hump on the way out of the station , job done.

Were not wrong kev. You said it yourself.

"I wring its neck everywhere i go".

That is why its not causing you problems.

I have been to squires 5 or 6 times now. When i rode with Dirty and his sv i used 3l of oil.

We were at 9/10 the entire weekend and the TDR averaged under 30mpg.

When i rode with Andrewelvisfan and his Sr. Max cruise that time. Bike still only did 45mpg. But i did the whole trip without filling the oil tank. The oil i took with me i brought home.

Used less than a litre for 500+ miles where i used 3 with you and Numan.

yes , but if your pump does fail or you spring a leak you won't have any oil going to the head !!!

and you only find out when things start to tighten up.

I stand by pre mixing.

Agree to differ. But im right.

• Like 1

dear god i can just see the size of the hole in your piston now :shakeno: .. as somebody has said with the pipes on im sure its running a bit lean.. or put it this way.. if you change from standard pipes and it makes no difference to the fuelling then the pipes are doing no more than the standard pipes... at least go up one size on the mains for peace of mind until you do a proper plug chop on the engine

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online