cant figure out this yz80

This post is 3184 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys bought a 1990 yz80 right before winter thinking of it as a project over the winter and for $250 it was the right price. got it home cleaned the carb as i was told by the owner it had been sitting for about 2 months drained what little gas was in it removed the broken fuel petcock and replaced it with one i bought on ebay. got it all back together and it fired right up first kick let it warm up nicely and went to go it was really choppy in the midrange but once it hit the power band it ran great. but the problem is since then it wont kickstart but will roll start just did a compression test and it came out at 123 psi. have checked over all electrical connections and have a nice spark. forgot to mention that i also put bouysen power reeds in because i looked at the reeds in it and they looked like the original ones and they weren't quite sitting flat on the cage also set float height correctly and put on an fmf silencer. can roll start and ride but it will just cut out randomly and not restart until completely cool..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok, was runnin good, so I think you"ve got some dirt in jets again,, pull the carb again,,,take out pilot jet , and blow thru , choke well in carb bowl too.

Mmmmmmm, Best remove jets, that pilot jet is most common problem , ultra-sonic bath is best,

i had a 250 suzi rm that wouldnt kick start. tore my hair out cleaning and checking everything.. i then replaced the igniter coil down at the flywheel. first kick and away it went. by the way i also had a great spark but just would not start for love nor money.

put an inline filter on it too, as the tank may be full of rust dust

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's been so long guys plastic tank so no rust checked petcock filter started looking at carb diagrams and figured out that the last owner put the wrong float needle and seat in so ordering the carb kit for it soon I will keep you posted

Edited by yz80rippin

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online