XVS650 not starting

chrissyboy
This post is 3217 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

cheers noise, pretty much there with regards to jacking bike up, i have it on a paddock stand at the moment, and already removed fuel tank & all wires connected to the engine. No rear mudgaurd on mine so thats a plus and pipes are off. Only things conecting bike to frame are the engine bolts and drive shaft, oure right about those plastic chrome covers on top of the engine, what a mare.

havent gone as far as removing front end, didnt know that was necassary

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I find it easier to have the front end off as you can then have the full frame on the floor and this makes it less likely to tip over while you pull the motor out never trust a paddock stand or side stand as some muscle is needed to get this lump out.

• Like 1

so engine is out and on the bench, problem was a blocked oil channel starving rear cylinder of oil casusing damage to rear cam shaft, rocker arm and sprocket, everything else looks ok, spares ordered so hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel, thanks for all your help and advise guys.. ..

Good luck getting it back in...

It took two of us the other week on my 650 rebuild. Then again, we *were* trying not to scratch the freshly painted frame!! :lol:

• Like 1

It took two of us the other week on my 650 rebuild. Then again, we *were* trying not to scratch the freshly painted frame!! :lol:

Then you should have put bubble wrap or blue roll over the frame then you donk haha

"prepare to fail or fail to prepare" and all that

Then you should have put bubble wrap or blue roll over the frame then you donk haha

"prepare to fail or fail to prepare" and all that

Actually, we did that.

I'm talking more about the sharp edges on the engine, that will still rip through the protection and gouge the paint.

Not far to go, actually. Next big part is figuring out the electrics routing and getting the coils/carbs/airbox stuff in above the cylinders...

we've left the electrics and carbs in place, only took off what was necasary to get the engine out so hopefully once its in its just a matter of putting everything back into place and tightning everything we had to loosen.

Hey Ttasky, why the rebuild? Is this the wife's 2001 draggie, or your 1999?

Hey Ttasky, why the rebuild? Is this the wife's 2001 draggie, or your 1999?

It's the wife's 2001. My 1999 melted out its oil seal and pissed the sump contents all down the A329-M.

Rebuilding because she had left it unridden to the point where the frame was rotting out and she now wants to sell it... or ride it... or maybe sell it... or keep it but store it.... or maybe sell it.... or.....

I really don't know, TBH.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online