'98 XV125 not starting.

LukeWard
This post is 3128 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, I've had a problem with my bike not starting after it was left for a while. It was left at a family members in a garage over winter, or so I though. He had taken it out of the garage for more space and left it uncovered over winter. Devestated.

The problem at first was the starter motor wouldn't turn, so i took it off, took it apart and gave it a clean plummed it back in and now it turns and spins the idler and also the flywheel gear but the stator isn't turning, so the crankshaft isn't either. If I push the bike or turn the stator by hand everything turns fine. I'm not sure what could have broke if it was standing and not being used.

I was thinking maybe it's the woodruff key or the flywheel clutch? I did try bumping the bike and it thuds like it wants to start but then quickly thuds quieter and quieter with the throttle making no difference at all.

I've yet to check the compression as I don't have a compression tester yet :/

We did try taking the stator off to check the woodruff key but that thing is bloody on there, haha.

Getting my hands on an Impact wrench shortly so that may help!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That will be the Rotor Luke.

Some family member eh, I take it he doesn't like you.

Is the battery fully charged, I would think it needs charged after lying around outside all winter.

Get that charged, clean the plugs drain the carbs and use fresh petrol and then try it before you pull everything apart

Thanks for the clarification! :)

Yeah, he got me a new battery because mine died after the whole scenario, so the battery is charged.

I'll get the carb off after work when I can and change the petrol, but I'm not sure that would make a difference D:

Fresh fuel always makes a difference, especially as yours has been sitting in the tank over winter, after about 3 months it separates out and rots the shit out of any metal it comes into contact with. You might need to clean the carbs as well as sitting with this ethanol shit in them could bung them up something fierce.

I think I may get the carb off tonight, weather permitting. The bikes stored in the dinning room for now (I say dinning room, it's more of a clean clothes and random shit room) but I don't want to get petty everywhere in there so I'd have to take it out to work on it.

I'll have to dig out the Jerry can, too, either that or just take the bloody tank to petrol station! :')

I'll get that done and then report back!

I've been toying with the idea of stripping the engine over next winter, for no other reason than I want to, i'd love to get into mechanics as a profession, there's just nowhere around here that's taking on for apprenticeships or anything. There's a garage that does sportster bobbers around the corner, Sledhead Bobbers, something like that would be ideal, but with what little experience I have they'd propbably laugh me out of the building! Hahaa.

If they laugh at you for wanting to know more then you don't want to work with or for them anyway, you encourage new people in by being fair and firm and showing them the right way. Just go in and say your interested and could they see their way to letting you observe for a while what they do, then as you get to know them they might ask you to help out in your spare time, loads of kids have got their start from just volunteering. The worst thing anyone can say is NO, that don't hurt and there's plenty of folks who want someone to help even if it's only for a few hours a week.

Fair point! I was thinking of going in anyway, like you said they worst thast can happen is they say no!

I was thinking of bobbing this Virago and I suppose if nothing I can get some ideas from them, I'd definitely ask them about the best way to mount a solo seat and where they get theirs custom made.

Got the carb out, gave it a clean, used a thin copper wire to poke through the jets, got it back on, drained the petrol, put fresh in and it didn't make a difference, even tried using easy start.. nothing! :/ I slaso went to clean the fuel pump out, but it was pristine on the inside!

I may get the carb off and take it to work to clean the metal parts (I work in a tattoo studio so I could use the ultrasonic :') )

Hi Luke,

Is the motor turning over by hand? IE where the timing marks are on the rotor, there will be a bolt on there and you can get a socket and wrench on it to turn the motor over.

Also are you getting a spark?

PS bobber are brilliant ;)

Hi Luke,

Is the motor turning over by hand? IE where the timing marks are on the rotor, there will be a bolt on there and you can get a socket and wrench on it to turn the motor over.

Also are you getting a spark?

PS bobber are brilliant ;)

Yeah, turns fine by hand, and when I put it in 5th and push.

I'm not getting spark with electric start, I'm unsure when I try bumping it, I'll have to do the plug against the fins trick while running downt the street, hahaa :')

Yeah, I really like the minimal look, I think I'm definitely going to do it :D I've already changed the bars, got some CB250 bars on there now :D

Here it is with the original bars (And my nieces :P)

1982030_10152876415557744_42793778827997

And here with the CB250 bars

994447_10152553031827744_293280622537004

May get flatter bars... :')

I'm thinking Coils have gone pop..???

If you aren't getting a spark then this is where your problem is. but first lets try simple cheap things first.

If you have a Manuel this will be very handy!!

1. Remove and clean spark plugs with wire brush to get good contact
  2. Spray some WD40 up inside the cap (the bit that goes on top of spark plug)
  3. Try and get a spark now
  4. If no spark, bin and replace the spark plugs
  5. See if you get a spark
  6. If no Spark look in your manual to find the black connector that supplies the coils with power and clean the pins with electrical cleaners
  7. Try and get a spark
  8. If no spark order new coils (not second hand ones)
  9. Hopefully this will give you spark.

You only need to turn the bike over a few times to see if your getting a spark so don't hold the button down and kill the battery.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips, shall try when I get home tonight!

I may move the coils, I was complaining a while back about poor perfomance in wet weather and I assumed it was water flicking up at the coils, then I found this today http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=36596

I think it's definately worth a shot!

Also, I've been using this manual, I was told the 250 is pretty much the 125 http://www.groussin.com/multi/XV250.pdf

Any good?

Well, we got the beast started!

It's not perfect, though. Electric start now does nothing and the neutral light wont come on aaaand if i out the stand down in neutral, it cuts out (It didn't before) so something electrical is fucked, I'm guessing like, dodgy earth or something?

I took it around the block a few times, it would rev up to a certain amount then not rev any more unless i pumped the throttle, so I'm guessing I didn't do an awesome job of cleaning the carb or there's shit in the tank blocking it again.

I'm happy it runs lat all though, I was starting to lose hope, hahaa :')

Thats good news buddy!

Again lets not jump straight to the expensive thoughts, as she was sitting outside for a number of months you may find that the block connectors on the wiring loom have gone rusty or just got shit in side so take them all off (one by one) and clean all the pins up with either WD40 or a good electrical cleaner and plug them all back in then try.

As for the running probs clean the carbs again as you may find that its sucked some crap through again that was in the lines. did you replace the spark plugs?

Thats good news buddy!

Again lets not jump straight to the expensive thoughts, as she was sitting outside for a number of months you may find that the block connectors on the wiring loom have gone rusty or just got shit in side so take them all off (one by one) and clean all the pins up with either WD40 or a good electrical cleaner and plug them all back in then try.

As for the running probs clean the carbs again as you may find that its sucked some crap through again that was in the lines. did you replace the spark plugs?

Indeed :D

I did start disconnecting and cleaning them, then I got to the one for the reg/rec and discovered the black wire going to the reg/reg was all burned at the connector, I have a multimeter handy but I'm not sure the best was to test things. It's my understanding that the black is the earth and the reg/rec, according to the multimeter, is still earthed. could it be burned out? I never looked at it before, but the battery was deffinately charging before it was left out.

I did take it for a spin around the block and it was running the same, then there was a bit of a backfire and it was fine! Until I stopped, when I stopped I couldn't legt the revs drop because it'd cut out, but I think that may be because I had the petcock to on and It needed to be on reserve.. I only put a little bit of fresh fuel in! :')

I didn't change the plugs, but I did re-gap and clean them :)

Put more fuel in and get it round the bloke a few times, might just need its throat cleared also check the tick over may have slipped down.

Okay, I'm getting annoyed with this thing now, electrical faults everywhere. I have no idea what the previous owner done, but there's a fuse there, and it's wired up horrendously. it's the fuse coming straight from the batter, I'm guessing it's the main fuse, it's big, yellow and 20A.

Strat with a positive, all the block connectors (Apart from the R/R) are pretty damn clean.

Now, I sometimes turn the bike on, and nothing works, at all. But, if I fiddle with the other fuse, a smaller looking, glass 15A fuse with brown wires coming from it (I'm guessing it's the indicator fuse or something) the neutral light comes on and everything works. I used to have annoying problems where the bike would idle while riding and if I revved the engine would hind of just, vibrate untill i fiddled with that same fuse then everything was fine.

There's that. And now, with the starter motor, it just spins when I click the electric start and the wire coming from it glows red, smoke then comes from it and it stops spining at all.

Also, the r/r. The black wire going to the r/r is burned at the block connector and the r/r itself is covered in salt depoits.

DSC_0689_1.jpg

DSC_0685_1.jpg

I currently have no money or time, I'm hoping it's all just something disgustingly simple like a bare wire somwhere or a dodgy ground.. but I'm starting to fear it's something worse...