Yamaha XT125R problem starting??

JayceC1
This post is 3225 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

Im kind of new to riding only been 10 months. I got this Yamaha XT125R as my first bike. Basically everytime it starts up it will not tick over and will cut out every time i go near the throttle. Just wondering is this a job i can do myself or would i need to take it to a garage.

Can anyone recommend anything? Thank you. Jayce

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Jayce, Welcome to the YOC. Need a bit more info really to tell you if it's an easy fault or a workshop visit, Try and describe exactly what happens and if this is how it's been since you had it or if this has only just started happening. I know you have more or less described the fault but was it gradual or did it just suddenly start doing this? What if anything have you done to the bike, service or changed the oil put new bit's on it or just generally left it alone. The more you say the easier it is to think of what the problem might be.

It's also a good idea to do an intro in the New Members section just to say Hi and show your not a one hit information only guy. :jossun:

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem with my XT when I bought it and at times it has been sitting unused for a while. If you feel confident enough I would get a Haynes manual (extremely helpful if you want to get your hands dirty and maintain the bike yourself) and look at cleaning the carburetor. My bet is that you have a clogged jet.

YouTube is also very helpful! https://youtu.be/Vhej6IZWsXE I would recommend using a spanner or socket on the main jet though, not pliers as this guy does.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online