78 dt 175 end no we're in sight

Bikeguy55
This post is 3204 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What happens with the filter out?

So it has ALWAYS run like this.

Its strange. Normally a sick 2 stroke WONT start.

Easy to start and idle says the engine is essentially ok.

The filter making no difference is wonky too.

Have you done anything with the float height. It is something they can be fussy over.

Have you checked the float height?

It is strange I've been around enough junk in my life that if it starts it usally works somewhat or it doesn't start. This bike is in some kind of twilight zone state. I have adjusted the float to both extremes as well as put it to factory specs and it runs the same or it won't start if there's too much or to little gas. I've haven't measured it specifically in awhile though and it wouldn't hurt to at least check it off the list.

Air head do you mean the flow out of the tank? If so i believe it's good but I can take a video of it if you'd like.

Air head do you mean the flow out of the tank? If so i believe it's good but I can take a video of it if you'd like.

yeah thats what I meant, there are filters inside of the tank and also inside of the petcock bowl

You know I think this could well be timing related.(Something I say VERY rarely) If this is as well as its ever run the timing cannot be discounted. (pun intended)I don't think its anything silly like the woodruf key, I think it may just have been done wrong.

It needs be out by little more than a couple of mm and it will run but any revs will advance it passed the point of not running.

1.8mm BTDC for your bike , do you have a puller and a dial gauge, you don't have to have the dial gauge but the puller is a must.

You said the pilot jet was too big ? that would bog it, its needing a good thrashing, all that slow idle will oil it up too,

Little bit of a development! I put the air boot on and a definite difference. The bike will take more throttle now but only if applied very slowly also I put my fingers over the overflow pipe as well as the vent on the top right of the slide tube and this caused my bike to stall. Also I was messing with the cable adjust ment and I'm not sure if this makes sense but I haas it so full throttle wasn't that much throttle.

However here's a new video to chech out

I don't have a puller Cynic but I know someone who does. Someone has definitely messed with the timing at one point because there's a mark scribed on the fly further out on it then the factory mark so it's easier to see. I'm anxious to get it off because as you can see by my last video it's closer then ever to being right .

The 'overflow' you mention is the float chamber vent. If blocked it will upset the mixtue. Esp at idle.

First and important mark the engine case and the stator plate so it wont wipe away so you have your current position.

Now seeing as were just fault finding. Losen the stator plate (careful the screws are made of warm cheese) then rotate the plate clockwise 2 or 3mm. Thats mm, 8th to a quater inch in old money. Max.

Retighten the screws. Pop the rotor on and see what happens. Then repeat but going the other way from your original mark.

Note she may not be so easy to start so dont keep trying and flood it.

Let us know what happens.

Crank seal wont help squirt with wd and see if the bike runs better.