Just arrived

This post is 3215 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good morning YOC - well, it's raining but every morning is good. I'm a newbie. Retired a little while ago, had a hankering for a long time to get back onto two wheels and I've just made the plunge. Bike is on its way, I need to get some kit and get ready to launch.

I looked at some boots the other day. It was really interesting to see that boots don't have that steel strip riveted under the right-side boot - you know, the one you use on the kick-start! Yeah, ancient aren't I. Electric starters seem to be the norm - progress, huh!

Any way, I'll let you know how I get on (I know, cock your leg over the saddle).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Adrian and welcome to the YOC and back to the world of biking, take care out there mate the BMW/AUDI drivers are the ones to watch out for, muppets think just cos they spend shed loads of money on their ride they own the bleeding road. You still need steel in your boots if you buy an old Triumph or BSA but like you I now enjoy just pushing a button and riding away. :jossun:

Greetings and welcome in, love electric starts much easier on the knackered old legs.

Greetings from another newbie to the YOC. Yep, I am also retired and familiar with those boots. Used to get mine at Pride and Clarke, Stockwell, long gone.

With knackered legs and lungs I now appreciate the push button starting. Don't know if I could still manage the P&M Panther 120S I used to own and long for again. (Now out of my price bracket) But Yammie XV750H is great fun.

:welcome:

Thanks for the welcome fellas.

I remember having a Panther 600 single. Pig to start sometimes but great for exercising calf muscle.

Pride & Clarke - a blast from the past.

Welcome. Remember trying to kick start a panther and the owner thinking it funny not to tell me about the decompression lever.

Yeh welcome inn lue " great wee bike the Virago .... :jossun:

• 1 month later...

It's taken a little while but I got onto a tiddler bike (175) to get those brain muscles into memory mode from 40 years ago. A trainer followed me and gave me a running commentary as to my (rusty) skills. It was like riding a (motor)bicycle, surprising how easily it all comes back. Whose idea was it to swap pedals? I only tried once to change gear using the rear brake!

Anyway, cobwebs blown away, I took the Virago for a spin - not too far - but enough to generate a big smile within my helmet. Traffic is a little different these days for a biker!

The Virago is ideal for restarting - I'm already thinking bigger machine but I think that a few more miles on this armchair of a bike will stand me in good stead. It's a real pleasure to ride it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online