First Oil Change

Harlin67
This post is 3253 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

Going to do my first oil change this weekend. I picked up a bottle of Mobil 2000 10W/40 oil from Halfords, but it's not specifically for motorcycles. Will this be okay?

I'm assuming it will be fine as I believe any 10W/40 should be okay?

Sorry for the silly question.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have a look at the spec on the back of the bottle and make sure it says JASO MA as this means its compatible with a bikes wet clutch. Most Halfords have a bike section so if you got it from there you should be ok. If not it sounds like you've picked up car oil.

• Like 1

Picked up some Halfords Motorcycle & Scooter 10W/40 Gear Oil 1ltr. I assume this is okay, the Halfords chap said it was fine, but I took his name and said my wife would be back if I exploded on the A3 on the way to work...

Sorry, just unsure. I read 'any' 10W/40 will do, but Gear Oil, is this the same as 10W/40 Engine oil?

Short answer - NO. Gear oils are normally used in non unit construction engines where the gearbox is separate from the noisy bit. They are not designed to cope with the heat and combustion byproducts you get in the main engine bay as all they need to do is keep the whirring gear bits from grinding metal off each other.

What you need is the standard Hellfrauds 10w/40 Semi-synth Motorcycle ENGINE OIL clicky link here - I buy mine in the 5 litre jugs as it works out at half the price (four and a half quid a litre) and it ain't gonna go off any time soon.

Looks like you've got a trip back to Hellfrauds again, sorry!

• Like 2

Short answer - NO. Gear oils are normally used in non unit construction engines where the gearbox is separate from the noisy bit. They are not designed to cope with the heat and combustion byproducts you get in the main engine bay as all they need to do is keep the whirring gear bits from grinding metal off each other.

What you need is the standard Hellfrauds 10w/40 Semi-synth Motorcycle ENGINE OIL clicky link here - I buy mine in the 5 litre jugs as it works out at half the price (four and a half quid a litre) and it ain't gonna go off any time soon.

Looks like you've got a trip back to Hellfrauds again, sorry!

Okay makes sense. I would not have used it, but needed confirmation I wasn't being an idiot, thanks, I'll have to go back. 5L makes sense really, so good shout, didn't think of it.

Gear oil - depending on what it is (EP90) is for old skool car gearboxes that do not share the same oil as engines. It is very thick! The oil should be for bikes and a previous answer had the letters to look out for. This is the kind of product I buy from my local dealer to keep them ticking over however my favourite bike oil is rock oil guardian. You can buy it direct from fleabag if you need. I tend not to buy 5 litre containers anymore because once opened and a third used they have a tendency to sit in my workshop for months. Just buy close to what you need. Remember to dispose of old oil properly. That normally means taking it to the local tip where you can pour it away. Don't be tempted to throw it in the bin, pour it down a drain, put it in a skip or post it to someone you don't like!

Oil changed, and alls well (so far).

The oil that came out was shocking, not that I'm mechanical, but it was like treacle. I'd have assumed, maybe incorrectly, that a bike with only 600 miles on the clock wouldn't have bad/mucky oil. The bike was purchased in 2013 by the original owner, and has sat around for a long time, but was recently serviced (March). Its possible the oil wasn't changed I guess?

Just a tip.

I got hold of a 25l container. A scrap one that had oil in it from the garage at work.

Nice handle on the top and means old coolant, oil, brake fluid even bad fuel can go in with use of a decent funnel (wide neck for lumpy bits). Good lid to seal and easy to empty when im going to the tip anyway instead of a special trip.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online