clutch diagnosis dt 125 lc mk 1

pablo0874
This post is 3272 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction I would be appreciative ,

I have a yam dt 125 mk 1 10 v engine , engine is running never beem rode the bike that , bike has been put together from frame upwards engine never been rebuilt or crank cases opened, chain is not connected yet,

the engine runs and now and again will go into different gears on its own after freewheeling in neautral while ticking over , is this normal ?

also the clutch actuating lever can be removed upward and outward if I wish should that be able to do that ?

I have connected a cable to it and it pulls ok and returns on the spring as it should it just seems when the engine is running and it seems to be in gear as the front sprocket spins faster I pull the clutch and it still spins , shouldn't pulling the clutch stop this ie disengage the gears,

if anyone can give us a heads up that would be grand , am I talking new clutch plates ? or is the actuating lever or push rods knackered somewhere , I can get it to run the engine that is now after a long time , it seemed the timing needed adjusting , just needs carb adjusting now but I would rather no where I stand on this clutch business first before I waste anymore time ,

cheers for any help in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

may I just add I have noknowledge of motorbike mechanics till I started this Yamaha dream three years ago , and majority of my knowledge I have gleened of the tinternet , or Haynes indecipherable manuals , still black and whit in the 21st century , so do forgive me if I seem like a dumbass

That's normal. the oil causes friction, even in neutral, , the lever shouldn't pull up . there should be a smell bolt/screw 3/4 way up the case,[ near sprocket,]

No he means that it's normal for the sprocket (front) to spin when in neutral, but it's NOT normal for the thing to move when you have the clutch pulled in. How long has the bike been stood and unused? it can sometimes be that the clutch plates will stick together after a long time of no use, if you think the clutch is stuck then tie the clutch lever back against the handle bar or at least as far as it will go and leave it for a day or two, that can sometimes free the clutch plates if they are stuck. As for jumping into gear on it's own see above for the reason for that and check the bolt for tightness.

I bought the engine a year ago so don't know when was last time used clut h wise so you may be right that its stuck I will try what you said about tie it up so its stuck on ? Leave it for a day or two and let you know what happens as for the bolt screw 3\4 up the case by sprocket can't seem to find that .but its like in the Haynes manual it says there's a timing mark in the crankcase to set the stator plate and that's not there neither thanks anyway will try tht

No he means that it's normal for the sprocket (front) to spin when in neutral, but it's NOT normal for the thing to move when you have the clutch pulled in. How long has the bike been stood and unused? it can sometimes be that the clutch plates will stick together after a long time of no use, if you think the clutch is stuck then tie the clutch lever back against the handle bar or at least as far as it will go and leave it for a day or two, that can sometimes free the clutch plates if they are stuck. As for jumping into gear on it's own see above for the reason for that and check the bolt for tightness.

slice Pablo has stated the final drive chain isn't fitted, so in that case even with the clutch lever pulled in the sprocket will spin because of the 'drag' from the oil
  • Like 1

I agree with sprocket spinning due to oil drag. Saw it on my mtx50 in 1985 when the chain snapped.

I know what you mean by spinning like when you jack a car up engine running and sometimes front wheels spin a bit .it has that but also has definite in gear spinning as when engine running I can change through all gears and you see sprocket spin faster and faster till top gear defo in gear when this happens I think if there were a chain on it would take off maybe I'm wrong

Yes sorry Airhead didn't make myself clear did I. Meant to say "as above due to oil being thicker when cool/cold" DOH !! :shakeno:

and now and again will go into different gears on its own after freewheeling in neautral while ticking over , is this normal ?

This is impossible Pablo" you would hear the dogs clashing , if you clutch plates are stuck, its either

stip it out and clean them,[ emry rust marks of the steels] Or, start bike in neutral , get front wheel against the wall , and bang it into gear, [ sounds rough but it works,]

Well started bike then sat on it brake on and banged into gear a few times bike just stalled every time moved a bit forward .clutch still not there tried tying clutch lever up left it two days nothing so would that be strip down and renew clutch plates? Is this as easy as Haynes makes it to be or should I be worried ? Cheers for all your help

you probably wont need to replace the plates, all thats required is to pull them apart oil the faces and re-assemble. Pay heed the plain plates go in a specific order so the cut outs are evenly spaced around the full circle

cheers airhead im I right in thinking this job can be done with engine still in bike just replacing the engine seal gasket on reassembly ?

yes just drain the oil first, if you're really careful you may even be able to re-use the gasket if you don't tear it when you take the cover off, watch out for the kickstart spring end coming out of it's locating hole because that's a good bet to tear the gasket too!

Unwind the adjustment on rear brake, as the pedal will get in the road when removing side casing, tie pedal down

Cheers airhead and black hat in the words of great scrufy detective columbo just one more thing, before I attempt this is there still a possibility there is also something else going wrong in the gears as all gears can be selected without a clutch is that normal as when I have no chain on I can select all gears and you see them spinning faster as u go up the gears surely u cannot select gears without it crunching somewhere or am I wrong am I thinking cars to much .bear in mind this is the first ever bike I have owned and built like Manuel of Fawlty tower ,I know nothing

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online