On road test tips please!

sunsprie
This post is 3295 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks, not sure if this is being posted in the right place. So apologies, but I have my module 2 on Friday, it got moved forward and would really appreciate some tips.

When I'm out with the instructor he is doing so many check and looks that I feel all most confused, I find my head bobbing in every direction lol.

Any advice are experiences would be great for me. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In addition to DDT's comments:

- Stay calm.

- Take your time. They will give you instructions in ample time so everything should be calm.

- Pay real attention to road signs so not to accidentally creep along slightly fast than you should etc.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ride for yourself - don't wait for gaps big enough for two. If you get too far ahead, he'll just ask you to pull over where it's safe.

Make sure you know where safe places to stop are. [e.g. not opposite a junction.]

Whenever you want to change position significantly, do your shoulder check.

Whenever you want to change speed, check your mirrors.

If you see anything that could be a hazard ahead - anything that could cause you to change speed/direction - check your mirrors.

Most of it's actually automatic, and you may not be aware you're doing it.

Treat it as a ride through town with a human sounding satnav in your ear.

• Like 1

Relax and ride as normal, watch your lanes at roundabouts and don't forget to cancel your indicators. Instant fail :eusa_doh:

• Like 1

Ride for yourself - don't wait for gaps big enough for two. If you get too far ahead, he'll just ask you to pull over where it's safe.

Make sure you know where safe places to stop are. [e.g. not opposite a junction.]

Whenever you want to change position significantly, do your shoulder check.

Whenever you want to change speed, check your mirrors.

If you see anything that could be a hazard ahead - anything that could cause you to change speed/direction - check your mirrors.

Most of it's actually automatic, and you may not be aware you're doing it.

Treat it as a ride through town with a human sounding satnav in your ear.

In addition to that, just make sure you do a head check (lifesaver, blind spot check) whenever there's a gap in the direction you're about to move, f'rinstance:

Going onto a roundabout to turn right, check your left shoulder before moving onto the roundabout

Going ahead at lights where there's a filter lane to your left, check it for the numpty who's going straight through in the wrong lane

Turning left if there's a gap between you and the pavement, check it, if you haven't left a gap there's no need to check.

.... and so on. Basically if there's a space for some numpty to be coming at you, check it.

Also, don't beat yourself up over any mistakes you think you may have made or your riding will go downhill rapidly. Remember, the examiner is also having to keep an eye out for his own riding, so there's times he's not looking at you ..... Stay frosty, ride as smoothly and safely as you can and you should be fine.

• Like 1

Relax and ride as normal, watch your lanes at roundabouts and don't forget to cancel your indicators. Instant fail :eusa_doh:

I believe it's only an instant fail if your indicators adversely affect another road user, otherwise it's a minor. But given you're only allowed 3 minors in a single box, if it's a constant thing, you'll fail quickly.

Also, if there's any other traffic on the road, it can easily hit that "other road user affected"

• Like 1

I believe it's only an instant fail if your indicators adversely affect another road user, otherwise it's a minor. But given you're only allowed 3 minors in a single box, if it's a constant thing, you'll fail quickly.

Also, if there's any other traffic on the road, it can easily hit that "other road user affected"

If the examiner opens his mike to tell you to cancel, you've failed, so push the flamin' button as soon as you've turned, then push it again just to be sure.

• Like 1

Thanks folks! It's the looking safety checks I am most worried about, so basically should be looking anywhere that some one may be able to pass me?

So is it, mirrors. Checks, indicate and one final check?

If the examiner opens his mike to tell you to cancel, you've failed, so push the flamin' button as soon as you've turned, then push it again just to be sure.

Or, think of the indicator as the button to fire your rockets down the road once you straighten off. Maybe you'll kill a chav with them!

Yup, I'm childish! :D

So is it, mirrors. Checks, indicate and one final check?

OSM/PSL

Observation

Signal

Manoeuvre:

- Position

- Speed

- Look

Lifesavers normally come in just before you move.

And in situations where you move position multiple times [e.g. filter lanes], do the lifesaver each and every time.

One of our resident CBT instructor types can probably correct me on that, though

• Like 1

Or, think of the indicator as the button to fire your rockets down the road once you straighten off. Maybe you'll kill a chav with them!

Yup, I'm childish! :D

OSM/PSL

Observation

Signal

Manoeuvre:

- Position

- Speed

- Look

Lifesavers normally come in just before you move.

And in situations where you move position multiple times [e.g. filter lanes], do the lifesaver each and every time.

One of our resident CBT instructor types can probably correct me on that, though

Childish? Hell, no! Anything that gets you remembering to push the button is good by me. Bit like the 2 second rule for following vehicles - "Only a fool breaks the two second rule", bit stuffy and IAM-ish - "Only a c**t hits the vehicle in front" gets 'em remembering to hang back.

Lifesavers, pretty much any time you change position on the road, check first - moving out past parked vehicles, moving back in, dodging potholes, moving into filter lanes ....... etc etc

• Like 1

When I was a lot younger and doing my car test the instructor moved the interior mirror a fraction out of line so that I had to turn my head to see behind me, it worked, so if you can remember to just turn your mirrors out a bit so you have to move your head to see in them the guy behind testing you will know your looking, whereas normally you just flick your eyes over the mirrors to spot the dumbarse coming up behind, you get the benefit of not only knowing what's behind you but can be seen doing it. Just a thought as I did my test in 1968 and things have got a tad more complicated, I don't expect I would pass now and would be told to hang up my leathers and stay indoors :biglaugha:

• Like 1

Yeah it's really helpful, I tried to ride to work today they way I would for the test. Honestly the lifesavers seemed to be confusing me and putting me off a lot,I suppose it's just practice. Another worry is that the test is not in belfast where I live it's outta town in a place I don't know well. My test is on Friday, shitting it abit to be fair but I'm determined to get on this 650 dragstar I bought. It's killing me just looking at it every day in my garage!

Good luck to you to mate!

Another worry is that the test is not in belfast where I live it's outta town in a place I don't know well.

That's a good thing. If you know the area, you may get complacent by anticpating wrong.

I tried to ride to work today they way I would for the test. Honestly the lifesavers seemed to be confusing me and putting me off a lot,

Honestly, it shouldn't be confusing. You just look where you plan to go before you go there. All you're doing is making sure it's safe to actually move.

"I want to move to the right" *look right* "It's safe, let's move".

Or

"I want to move to the right" *look right* "There's a car right beside me, that wasn't visible in the mirror. I can't move yet"

• Like 2

Yeah I wouldn't stress about not knowing the area. I didn't (and still don't!) know the area I did my test in. In addition to that the instructors radio wasn't working so he gave me instructions in advance and I needed to memorise them. Talk about stress, lol! I was completely lost but even I still passed.

Don't stress about it - that's where you'll go wrong.

Probably driving everyone nuts here but i was on a 2 hour lesson there, test is tomorrow.

He said there was no majors but a few minors , he also said I was rushing to much. At the end he had another lesson so I didn't get to talk him.

My question is will the intructer put a mark against you for taking you time?

Mirrors,checks,final check move I feel take a while and did feel like I was maybe going a little to fast.