Lowering rear end FZ6 Fazer?

neversaydie
This post is 3268 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Id like to lower the rear end so that I can get more foot on the deck, this has turned up while searching

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZ6-Fazer-S2-RJ14-2009-MFW-Lowering-Kit-Drop-35mm-/130768980805

I reckon it replaces a longer link on the shock, would I need to lower the front end too ?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Most you don't but you could always drop the front fork legs through the clamps till it's level, shouldn't hurt.

as above drop the forks and get some foam removed from the seat padding. if you lower the rear of the bike it will steer more like a boat than a bike..

Finished the job this afternoon. Wasn't easy though. Had a good look and decided it could be done without removing the rear wheel. Hugger/ panels removed for access, bike on centre stand, rear wheel packed up to stop it dropping. Top shock mountin bolt came out easy, bottom mounting bolt came out easy too. Haynes says "pull out the spacer".

S5000150.jpg

No chance, stuck in solid. No room to get anything on it to pull or knock it through. Ended up grinding a small groove in the visible bit with a dremmel, so I could get a small sharp chisel in the groove and tap it out from the left side. Still no good though.

Soaked it in Plusgas for a couple of days, interspersed with red heating a bolt and shoving into the bore of the spacer to trasnfer some heat into it. It finally started to shift last night, eventually coming out unharmed.

Then couldnt unscrew the yoke from the piston shaft. Finished up hacksawing through it, level with the end of the threaded shaft, then hacksawing down its length, level with the top of the thread, on two sides. A gentle tap, and it popped of like cracking open a walnut, shaft threads unmarked.

S5000153.jpg

Fitted the replacement yoke, added a drop of threadlocker, cleaned the shock up, ready to refit.

S5000154.jpg

Everything greased and copa slipped up, lined up the unit, slipped it in.

S5000156.jpg

Covers etc all back on, wheeled it of the platform, cocked mi leg over easy without kicking the handrail, now get both feet almost flat on the floor, so the jobs a good un. Centre and side stands still function as they should, will test ride in the morning

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online