1976 Yamaha V50

Callyspoy
This post is 2811 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's green again!

1E8F2573-A7ED-44DA-8E3B-05E7D96468E8.jpg

Only managed the first couple of coats, still have some other panels to do too (tank, mudguard, side panel covers), but hey, real progress, which is nice.

• Like 1

Did a wee bit more over the weekend and today

4D1109B1-5A1A-4D48-8F11-863CE10BDDE8.jpg

The bits in primer will have a couple of coats of top coat tomorrow, then a couple more on Saturday. That'll be it for the painting then.

C3822D6D-141A-4FE3-9F4A-CFA801CC0AB6.jpg

It's all a bit rough and ready, but it's not the bike to be spending hours and hours and hundreds of pounds on. I'm pleased so far with the results though.

Hilarious how u guys just strip a bike in the street. Here all the bits will be stolen before you turn your back.

Oh, i wouldn't leave the stuff out in the road, you must be mad! I had no choice but to strip it in the road, but it was swiftly relocated to the garden. People will take you recycling bin if you leave it outside.

Last bit of painting done today. All needs to be cut back a wee bit to get some runs and orange peel out, but generally really happy with it for a first go.

1A6ACB00-3950-4AEB-93F6-05CEF2450853.jpg

79DEC963-1791-468E-961B-368421395AE7.jpg

02C03C42-4940-4A9C-BEA4-EDBEDF50A3EC.jpg

517C188F-2663-420C-91C1-BE73319561E7.jpg

Bit of a shame about the orange peel as there was hardly any on the first set of green bits, but we've got a good cutting agent so i'm positive i'll get it looking good.

On to the rebuild!

• Like 1

Cally that's brilliant mate. You must be well chuffed. :jossun:

Cheers Slice.

I'm going to do the heavy hitting bits tomorrow afternoon, then my wife is out in the evening so i have permission to rebuild in the kitchen. Hope to have it rolling before bed!

As i said i would, spent a few hours this evening starting the rebuild. I've actually done more than shown in the pic as i forgot go take another one at the end.

Basics are on, i have also fitted the rear light, rear brake switch, wiring loom and handlebars. So, quite happy.

I've got all the electrics to do for the handlebars and ignition, but all easy enough with a Haynes.

I have fitted GIANT (ha!) 3 inch tyres, so a bit fatter than the standard 2.25, they suit it i think.

Bad news is that the rear dampers i bought (due to knackered originals) are about 2cm longer, which means that on the side stand it is a bit too leany.

I'd planned on not fitting a centre stand, But i may have to revisit that idea, which is a blow.trying to think what i could do...any help appreciated with suggestions!

51A9A3DB-0DD4-4BEF-9DD2-E801378D6DA2.jpg

Where do you keep the bike, in that top box? :biglaugha:

And it's got the smallest engine I have ever seen or not as the case may be.

Still looks better than the rusty lump it first was, well done you.

Funnily enough I was going to say why don't you park it with the side stand outward (into) the road that way the tyre size will not be a problem, your using the camber of the road then.

Yes, engine is in the shed at the mo, should be fitted on Wednesday the i can finish off the rear end (chain guard, other spring, etc).

I hate how close it is to being on the road!

Yeah it's sad mate, all that work and now your going to have to find something to do or SWMBO will have you painting the inside of her cupboards, you could of course BUY ANOTHER ONE !!! and start again, I mean it's not like this one didn't turn out a treat is it. Then you can tell her your doing it for the money (HA HA HA !) In 40+ years I have sold loads of bikes and only 2 have made money one cos the guy paid in full then never came back (so I sold it again !!) and one cos I bought 2 for a £100 and actually used the second one for spares then sold THAT as well.

Ah the classic orange peel..stuff of nightmares. Got that on all my projects so far..thats why I will NOT paint the RD.

Today i fitted the engine, seat, side panels and headlight.

I'm probably a couple of hours away from being ready to start her up, but i am now not able to touch it for 2 weeks due to work and a little holiday. It's very frustrating! I'll throw a picture on once i've taken one. It actually looks like a bike now!

As promised, a wee picture of it at the mo.

Desparately need decals on it, but i want to wait until it's useable so that it feels complete.

I started it up today, misbehaving slightly so i need to investigate. Can't ride it just yet anyhow, but i wanted to hear it run again!

15D9DC33-B77B-4405-A637-3B237FB44C99.jpg

• Like 3

Ah, 2 motorbikes and a cup of tea, pucka. You have done a smashing job there.

Looking good cally, Me I can't work without endless cups of tea.