a good idea

iandouglas
This post is 3310 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have an extremely bright tail and head light, and I have reflectors on each side of my bike, and reflective patches on my jacket and boots.

Most biker's are fairly damn visible as it is, unless this is similarly priced to a normal helmet, I'm not going to bother, I have plenty of safety features as it is. If it's the same price as a noral helmet, or even £15 or £20 more (which for something as simple as LED's is reasonable) then I'll have one, can't have enought safety features, BUT, if this is like £50 or £100 more, I'm not gonna bother.

To make helmet LED's a thing in the loing run, these have to be priced competatively,

Not bad at all. I bought a s700 last year for £160

why I should need to look like a christmas tree? more weight is not good for so small head like mine :) I can`t see the safety thing in all this sh*t :) i`m not going to ride all my life in caves where is no light at all and i`m sure there is not so many drivers that drive with no lights during the night, where is no road lights. if they fail to see my bike lights, my helmet, pants and jacker reflective stuffs, for sure they will fail to see my leds around my head.

I will put this helmet in the same location with this another amazing invention:

https://youtu.be/NcK8lPZOtWs

...joke section

When I read that it was a helmet with lights I thought "Tron" or "Battlestar Galactica" !!

As said by others, after you consider headlights,taillights,reflectors etc, Then these tiny wee lights will make no difference.

( Might still buy one for my next helmet though.... )

Won't do any harm to have them. There is of course the possibility that because they are in an unusual place, it may just draw attention in a 'WTF is that light doing there - shit there's a guy on a bike' sort of way.

Ok the helmet is the highest part of the bike and is seen first 95% of the time but these LED's will make no difference to the simidsy that still pull out on you with your high beam and day glow jacket on.

It is now all down to styling, all these new cages running the day time running lights etc i guess the bike manufactures and clothing guys are jumping on the band wagon.

Not for me, :shakeno:

Is it not illegal to have green lights on, like that?

As mentioned, most people won't even see these through the headlight at night, same as the tiny thin little bits of reflective piping on my kit... During the day, if you cannot see/hear me, you are blind and ought not to have a licence.

• Like 1

would you believe it ,

a pig / police man told my youngest that his car had illegal lighting , he had green leds in the window washer jets on the front bonnet ,

and was asked to remove them as it could be classed as impersonating a doctors emergency vehicle. wtf

Sorry mate but it does say, "only white lights may be displayed on the front of the vehicle" so technically the PO was right but was your boy being a bit --? Just sayin!

You can have constant orange lights at the front, which you find 'perma-on' with some import bikes.

What I think we really need is some kind of lighting arrangement that makes it clear we're a bike on the road, rather that people mistaking us for "a distant car with one light out", or something.

Mate, people don't see my fkin truck at work, that's in town traffic.

If they can miss a 50ft long, 15ft high, red, permanently lit (our lights are set to perm on) monstrosity just what do you think will make the car drivers 'see' us.

Cars are so safe nowadays people feel safe, when they feel safe they relax, when they relax they think about stuff, that makes them distracted. That distraction becomes their main thought as driving is 'so easy' so they forget they are doing it.

By this point they are fully immersed in their thoughts and their brains only recognise risk, which in their safe car their isn't any. Don't forget we cannot judge the speed of something viewed head on till it reaches less than 30 or 40 feet (blame evolution for that one, traveling at over 8mph wasn't in our biology).

Net result, you could have a WW2 searchlight on your bike and it would make little difference, we have lights now that are too bright. I think main beam can be whatever the makers want but dip should be just basic light to be SEEN by. The current crop of light blind, that makes the illusion of a long distance car more believable. It also makes that little green strip utterly fkin useless.

Most of the outer graphics on my shoe lid are hi viz, the same stuff used on M way signs,(my lid is eu legal with no modifications) it glows in the dark fer christsakes and people still pull out on me. That little green strip doesn't come close to making a difference.

Gimmick, that may well be abused by the Anti's, be warned.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online