cost of bikes

iandouglas
This post is 3285 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

no not new bikes, just keeping the existing (old) one running, had a load of repairs done a few months ago and now i have

started using my 25 yr old machine more again with the weather improving somewhat, well temperatures anyway, and

straight away i'm into a replacement silencer and replacement brake switch plus another service will be required soon.

Also got our boy's bike to sort/pay for as he is still a student, not that i mind particularly,

his (old) bike has a gear selection issue (actually I will just be glad if it is fixable),

an oil cooler leak and one of the heated grips gone awol - dear oh dear.

i don't recall my old toyota costing much at all over the 10 yrs or so i owned it, in fact it still had the same exhaust on when i sold it.

but that's bikes i guess, they rev more and everything is exposed and of course they are much more fun than driving a bland car.

stlll these are small matters i suppose in the great scheme of things and i should just be glad to have a generally reliable machine.

got a case of the bike cost blues - all together about £300 i reckon. Knocks a bit of a hole in my project fund, another old motorbike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

One of the very few upsides to a 125cc bike, they cost basically nothing to maintain, parts are cheap and plentiful, even more so if you're Ok with second hand part (which I am provided the part is in good condition)

Soon I'm getting new tyres, clutch plates and springs, heated grips, wheel bearings and replacing some blown bulbs in the instrument pannel that I've been to bone idle lasy to replace.

I like tinkering with the old DT. the new[ ish] triumph needs nowt . it just sits in the corner, I"v just put a new smaller rear sprocket on DT, so its test run tomorrow , with mates,, cold still tho , :frosty:,

• Like 2

I got relieved of £215 yesterday for a service on the FZ. Not even new plugs included in that. I even wiped the majority of grime off the bike with a dirty rag before I took it to the dealers.

lot of money dirty, remember me about first service on my bike, 265 pounds. last service ( I change the mechanic after first service because I think 265 pounds is robbery) 120 pounds, oil, genuine oil filter, ordinary spark plugs, all included in the price the service was complete not just change the oil and sparkplugs. change brake fluid, the cables lubricate, etc.

when I provide my stuffs (spark plugs, oil filter, oil) if i`m not wrong I pay 60 pounds. don`t remember exactly but something like that.

and freak, i`m f happy... nobody cares if the service is made by jordan bikes or dixon of pudsey lol. the stamp even if is diferent, have the same effect on service book and personally I think mr dixon is doing better his job than "the race boys" from jordan bikes. you should search for another mechanic.

It's not rocket science doing a basic service on most bikes buy a manual read it and do it yourself that way you are sure the service has actually been done, not just an oily rag wiped over the oil filter to make it look new and the spark plugs wiped clean and yes I caught one dealers out that no longer trade several years ago doing just that. if you have to take your bike to a dealership mark the disposable items filters plugs etc with a marker or correction fluid then check after they return it that's the easiest way to catch them.

lot of money dirty.....

It was for some oil, an oil filter, some chain lube and some air for the tyres. Mind you, that was main dealer prices. I'll just take it one year at a time to decide if I keep up the service history or not.

It's not rocket science doing a basic service on most bikes buy a manual read it ......

Why would I want to buy a manual? I can get the service specs from the owners manual.

..and steve, if the bike is new or you want keep the service history, you need the stamp, doing yourself the service you can`t get this stamp on the service book.

..and steve, if the bike is new or you want keep the service history, you need the stamp, doing yourself the service you can`t get this stamp on the service book.

youre right, but if I was buying a bike and the owner had receipts to prove servicing was done, Id consider that the same as a dealers stamp

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online